Burbot Catch and Cook

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Was talking to a coworker last week and he said cusk ( what we call burbot) is his favorite and best tasting freshwater fish.

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Was talking to a coworker last week and he said cusk ( what we call burbot) is his favorite and best tasting freshwater fish.
True. Similar taste to crab or lobster. Lots of people call it poor mans lobster.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Nice flavour...but I just don't like the soft, mushy-feeling flesh of burbot, as compared to the nice firm white flesh of walleye, perch, etc. I clean them more or less the same way you show...I usually nail the head to a vertical board and then just de-glove the whole fish, much like catfish. I catch a lot of burbot now, in Manitoba...way more than I ever did in Ontario...and have brought a bunch home this winter for the table. I can get beautiful skinless boneless fillets off of 4 or 5 walleye in the time it takes to clean one of those big snot-tubes. :)

Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect these uniquely exotic-looking fish; still get excited every time a big one comes through the ice. But, like pike, the fun ends there and unless the fish is damaged, I now carefully release them.

Your recipe, on the other hand, looks and sounds intriguing. I can't wait to try that on some good fish! :thumbsup:

Reactions: bottles

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Where is the liver?!! I cannot believe he did not eat the liver.
Smothering this delicious fish in cheese is a crime I could probably forget, but not eating the liver should send you straight to The Hague.

• Haha
Reactions: bottles and jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Mmmm...burbot pate...dang it, I don't remember how to add accents on a keyboard...:)

Reactions: bottles

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Where is the liver?!! I cannot believe he did not eat the liver.
Smothering this delicious fish in cheese is a crime I could probably forget, but not eating the liver should send you straight to The Hague.
Hahaha. Never heard of people eating the liver. I'll make sure and try it next time

Reactions: Milingu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store