Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

Buying first LARGE tank for 2nd floor apartment would a 150-gallon be safe?

Discussion in 'Setup and Filtration' started by Damon0306, May 25, 2008.

1. Damon0306

Damon0306 MFK Members

Jul 10, 2015
      I know there are a lot of variables, as far as tank final weight with gravel, rock etc...

I am planning on purchasing either a 125-gallon Aqueon or a 150-gallon Aqueon for my 2-bedroom apartment.

The tank will be setup BARE, super-filtered to raise 3 baby butterfly koi, that yes I know will outgrow the tank.

I just closed my large 7000 gallon pond and sold off the large standard fin koi and need some fish RIGHT AWAY because I am very sad about the whole thing, but had to close the pond due to time constraints, and no longer living at my parents home were the pond is located.

Do you think a bare filled 150-gallon tank on stand will be to much weight for a 2nd floor apartment? I am going to be using the Classic MIssion series stand from Aqueon for the tank.

I had a 180 gallon many years ago, but it was kept in my basement so weight was not an issue.

I would feel safe setting up a 125-gallon, but want to push for the biggest I can. A 150-gallon has me a little iffy, and I would never try the 180-G or 210-G.

Regardless if I go with the 125 or 150, I can't wait to show some pictures when its done.

Going to have black background, black background on the floor of the tank, and filtered like crazy with a combo of AquaClear 110's, Aquaclear 70 Powerheads and atleast 2 Fluval FX5's maybe even 3, if I can get the standard piping to all fit.

Going to be plain, and perhaps quite sterile looking, but that is going to be so I can stay on top of water quality with massive water changes to keep things running smooth.

Thanks for reading...

2. Sir-KS

Sir-KS MFK Members

Satiya
      Aug 1, 2013
      i think it would work but put the tank next to a wall so the base of the floor can support the weight. 125GAL = 1400 .... 150GAL = 1800 lbs of water

3. ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ MFK Members

Aug 25, 2015
      I think you will be safe, my kiddie pool is 6' around on 4 joists with 150+- gallons with 200lbs of sand and have no issues. Joists are 2x8 also

4. Mattyou

Mattyou MFK Members

Aug 28, 2013
      Should not be a problem. As stated before, put it along a wall.

5. HiImSean

HiImSean MFK Members

Jan 22, 2015
      ive got a 125g that im about to set up on my 2nd floor apt. i figured about 1400lb and over 9sq feet is 155lb per sq foot. im not worried :)

6. Damon0306

Damon0306 MFK Members

Jul 10, 2015
      As always thanks so much for the quick replies. The tank is going to be up against a wall.

Going to go with the 150 gallon... Time to get this project rolling... Will keep you posted.

7. fwiffo

fwiffo MFK Members

Mar 4, 2015
    8. Mr Pleco

Mr Pleco MFK Members

32 minutes ago
      killzkc on here has a 150 tall on a third story I believe. I think it is able to be done. Just need to find a load bearing wall and you should be set

9. ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ MFK Members

Aug 25, 2015
      have you personally done this, or just by going by your opinion? IMO people that have DONE IT need to speak up not people second guessing. I have a 6' kiddie pool IN my bedroom 150gallons and going strong. The worst thing that could ever happen would be the floor bounces when you walk by, then you know your slightly over the limit. I bounce on my floor and it doesnt move.

It all depends on your construction to (not sure about apartments, some are steel) but newer houses use pine for joists, some use OSB I beams which are far superior, and older houses use the harder wood (as mine does)

10. fwiffo

fwiffo MFK Members

Mar 4, 2015
      yes, i understand where you are coming from, but that is the point of my article i pasted. home are not exactly the same, as you pointed out in the age of your home; there are many, many differrences in grades of wood, construction, age, etc. the factors are boggling. this article can help a homeowner go by what is seemingly written by a man who understands engineering. besides, if a structural collapse does occur, and it does from time to time as some members have sadly discovered, home or renters insurance (landlord's as well, for the insurance on their rental property) will examine placement of the aquarium (load) and where it is situated. all that kinda stuff is important to me; so thats why i posted the link, as the originla poster may not be aware of the information. dont take it personally; its just not as simple as it is made out to be. ok?