CAE Growth - Stunted?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
It's a CAE, I've seen mixed growth on them; some get monstrous, others stay tiny, often this happens if they are bullied for food and out competed too

He'll probably be just fine lifespan wise etc IMO...
Yeah, he was kept in a tiny, overstocked tank before I got him. He was in a 30ltr tank (I think. It looked a little bigger than my 20ltr one, but nowhere near as big as my 50ltr one) with roughly 15-20 assorted tetras. And I doubt the guy done regular water changes, he's a 'fish only need water' type of guy. :/

Since I've had him he's been in with my betta, minus a small 4-5 month period spent in with my goldfish in the 200ltr tank they had. We put him in there to see if he'd grow at all.. He didn't, so he went back with my betta. I think he feels safer in with the betta, the goldfish harrased him a lot, but he's one of the biggest fish in the bettas tank currently, second only to Bruce himself (Bruce being my betta).. :D

Thanks for your help.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Yeah, he was kept in a tiny, overstocked tank before I got him. He was in a 30ltr tank (I think. It looked a little bigger than my 20ltr one, but nowhere near as big as my 50ltr one) with roughly 15-20 assorted tetras. And I doubt the guy done regular water changes, he's a 'fish only need water' type of guy. :/

Since I've had him he's been in with my betta, minus a small 4-5 month period spent in with my goldfish in the 200ltr tank they had. We put him in there to see if he'd grow at all.. He didn't, so he went back with my betta. I think he feels safer in with the betta, the goldfish harrased him a lot, but he's one of the biggest fish in the bettas tank currently, second only to Bruce himself (Bruce being my betta).. :D

Thanks for your help.
Probably a good thing moving away from the goldfish, CAE can get rather nasty; and take to sucking slime off of the other fish

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Probably a good thing moving away from the goldfish, CAE can get rather nasty; and take to sucking slime off of the other fish
I had heard of them doing this but I haven't seen mine do it - YET..
Although thinking about it, Bruce doesn't like him much. If the cae gets to close Bruce will flare up and 'rage' at him... I wonder if maybe the cae has gone for Bruce at some point when no ones been watching the tank? I'd never seen Bruce flare up at all until the cae went in there (I'd had Bruce for about a year when I got the cae) and always just assumed it was because the cae was bigger than his tetra tank mates, but maybe the cae has tryed sucking his slime coat off at some point and Bruce just hasn't forgot and likes taking precautions?

Anyways, thanks again. :D

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I'm a little late but what I've noticed with some common plecos(and CAE) Is if they are not fed properly in their younger years...they do tend to have their growth stunted even when offered more food later.

I wouldn't worry about it to much.

If you really wanted a bigger one, you would be best to buy a new one and started by feeding heavily at the beginning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store