Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Can a broken water heater kill an Arowana?

Discussion in 'Arowanas' started by doods, Dec 26, 2010.

1. doods

doods MFK Members

Jul 23, 2013
      Hi guys! I have this case were my friend arowana died. It all started when I came to feed the fish because my friend went on vacation so I have to take care of it. It was the 2nd time I feed the fish because I was checking on it every 2 days, the 2nd time I had notice that there were broken glass scattered on the sand floor. I quickly pulled the plug for the water heater and scoop the glass out of the water. I don't know when the fish broke the heater, because if it was after I visited, then it has been 2 days that the water heater is plugged in maybe electrocuting the arowana.

now after the discovery of the broken heater, the fish still ate when I came back for it after 2 days, so I checked everything and brought a new heater for the fish, after 2 days I came back and shock to discover the arowana is dead and floating in the tank.

My question is what cause the death of the arowana?
      1. Did the fish died of electrocution? if so why did it take a long time for it to take effect?
      2. Did the arowana accidentally swallowed some of the glass while it was swallowing the food from the bottom floor of the tank? because I'm not 100% sure that I scooped up all the glass out, I was thinking maybe some tiny glass got inhaled while swallowing the food and may cause digestion or internal problem with the arowana.
      3. Are there components on the water heater that may cause water be harmful and even fatal to fish? I had read that the water heater has a component called polymeric filler and I googled polymeric and it says its harmful to fish. Need to know if this is true and if any other component of the heater can cause water problems.

I need to explain to my friend when he gets back the cause of the arowana death.

thank in advance guys.

2. zenyoungkoh

zenyoungkoh MFK Members

Apr 26, 2015
      I think the aro ate some glass, and cut his digestion organs resulting in a fatal internal bleeding

3. Saterus

Saterus MFK Members

Jul 28, 2013
      I would suspect he swallowed glass as well but you never know what might have happened with the current in the water. I got shocked by several tanks at the LFS, broken heaters, exposed wires on hoods, etc. Never had a fish in one of those tanks die but I heard stories of large plecos and pacus dying from broken heaters. Some were a day or to after the heater was removed.
      Dunno what killed them, just that they happened to be dead right after the heater broke.

4. Miguel

Miguel Ole Dawg
      Staff Member

Apr 8, 2015
      fish do not get electrocuted, since they have no contact with the ground.

it is the same with birds in electric wires.

We get eletrocuted because we have our feet on the ground and the current passes through us.

5. yodaLBC

yodaLBC MFK Members

marvin
      Jul 24, 2015
      x2

its probably just the temp change!

6. nes999

nes999 MFK Members

Feb 1, 2015
      +1

7. Richie_ELP

Richie_ELP MFK Members

guess
      May 13, 2012

if I could float off thr gound, I wouldn't get electrocuted?

8. doods

doods MFK Members

Jul 23, 2013
      So electricution is out of the way right guys? what if the fish accidentally bump on the broken heater? does he get shocked because of the contact with the metal part of the heater?
      I don't think the temp change killed it because I changed the heater on the tank, and after like 4 days it just died on me.
      Still have any idea? I'm still thinking about the chemicals that was use inside of the heater if it cause any toxic or polluted the water or something that can harm the arowana.

9. 12 Volt Man

12 Volt Man MFK Members

Jul 20, 2015
      sorry for your loss.

sounds like coincidence to me.

as mentioned it was probably not electrocution and the aro probably did not eat broken heater parts.

could have been the temp change though. but again, it should have been more sudden rather than a few days later.

sorry for your loss.

10. Milpool

Milpool MFK Members

Dec 17, 2014
      Just buy an identical arowana and your buddy will never know!