Can a broken water heater kill an Arowana?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
It's possible other contaminents from the heater poisoned the water, But I agree it was likely the arrow eating glass. electricity may not electricute fish, but I'm not sure it doesn't screw with their lateral lines.

pi-eyed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Miguel;4736307; said:
fish do not get electrocuted, since they have no contact with the ground.

it is the same with birds in electric wires.

We get eletrocuted because we have our feet on the ground and the current passes through us.
X2 Miguel. Same is true for squirrels on the power lines. I agree with the broken glass being ingested. Water temp may have also played a role in the demise of the aro. Always sad to hear of a fish death.

-----Chris

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
A broken heater will kill any fish

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I would suspect the temp drop caused most of the BB to go dormant and then when the temp was raised again an ammonia spike took the poor guy out.

But it is impossible to know if you didn't test the water.

doods

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
Saudi Arabia
Milpool;4736623; said:
Just buy an identical arowana and your buddy will never know!
like im gonna find something identical lol :cry:

doods

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
Saudi Arabia
I was just wodering why did it take like 4 more days before the fish died if the cause was sudden shift of water temp? although johno27 has a point on the amonia level rising, I didn't got a chance to check it because at that time I was already grieving and out of focus at that time. and I dont have the amonia tester with me.
I would like to clarify about the fish not getting electrocuted, why didn't it get electricuted? because it a live electric current still running in the broken heater, well i didn't test it for obvious reason, coz back in the Philippines I use to watch some guys catch fish in the river by use of electrocution using two rods hook in a car battery. I think the same thing apply with the heater right? the one thing I notice if the arowana did got zap, how come it took time for it to died? like somebody mention about the lateral line thing with big fish like the arowana, maybe it disrupted its natural electric thing or something?

ausarow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2008
australia
turn the new heater off and see what the temp goes down to over the course of four days.
that will give you a good idea if the temp is low enough to kill the fish.
otherwise try and think how cold it got to. did you wear shorts and sleep with no blanket for example. some areas need heaters to keep em alive, some areas need em to keep it stable.

i have had broken heaters before with no fish losses. if they are swinging about the place and not stuck down with suckers they can very easily break.
pulling them out hot, or dropping water level while on and then having them cooking and water touching them after being on dry is the other way to blow them up.
does this happen to be the same fish that someone else posted about being sick but having to go on holiday and having a friend look after it while away?

small tank heaters dont usually have an earth wire. they are active and neutral here.
a dripping/leaking tank at the same time as a heater breaking can be dangerous.
did you feel the shock after the fish was dead, maybe it tripped a breaker.
did you still have pumps and air going.

you can always dissect the arow to check for glass. i doubt that is what killed it.

ausarow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2008
australia
it can take four days for an arow to die with temp drops thats for sure.
it depends how long the drop to fatal temps took.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Miguel;4736307; said:
fish do not get electrocuted, since they have no contact with the ground.

it is the same with birds in electric wires.

We get eletrocuted because we have our feet on the ground and the current passes through us.
actually, they do ! I haven seen a lot of people use electricity to catch fish in water ! and water in a fish tank is a good conductor !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store