can any one tell me how to tell the difference between a male and female blue dolphin?

Justmick

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2016
sacramento ca
I have 2 blue dolphins in my 75 gal tank. When I stocked the tank I thought I was getting all males but I have noticed that one of my blue dolphins is "dancing" around my other dolphin occasionally. Does this mean I have a femal or is this something they all do? Any hep would be great. Thank you in advance.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Males dance with each other to show aggression. You may want to avoid having two of the same species in a male tank.

You could vent the fish to confirm. The openings on the underside of the fish will be the same size oo on a male whereas a female is more like oO from laying eggs.

Justmick

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2016
sacramento ca
Males dance with each other to show aggression. You may want to avoid having two of the same species in a male tank.

You could vent the fish to confirm. The openings on the underside of the fish will be the same size oo on a male whereas a female is more like oO from laying eggs.
Tank you for the info. I had heard if venting but until now did not know what to look for. Thank you I will try

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I find them hard to sex by appearance (size, fins, etc). I once had four and thought I had 3F and 1 M and then one day saw the "male" laying eggs and picking them up with no other fish involved - so 4 females! I added a breeding group bought from a fellow fish geek and then all fish were breeding.

Justmick

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2016
sacramento ca
I find them hard to sex by appearance (size, fins, etc). I once had four and thought I had 3F and 1 M and then one day saw the "male" laying eggs and picking them up with no other fish involved - so 4 females! I added a breeding group bought from a fellow fish geek and then all fish were breeding.
At what age/size did they start breeding for you?

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Male was 15 cm (close to 6 inches). Female considerably smaller. Not sure of age. They are one of the slowest growing cichlids in my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store