Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

Can I keep mbuna's with my red devil?

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by CichlidsRock47, Oct 21, 2011.

1. CichlidsRock47

Dec 11, 2011
      I have a 9 inch female red devil in a 125 by her self. She killed plenty of other cichlids. My friend told me that I can keep little africans with her because she is too big to catch them.
      Could it work? I only housed her with 1 dovii, 1 festae and 2 jaguars, they all got murdered by her. Those are big cichlids, so they are slow. I really want to give it a try by getting some africans but I am a little worried.

2. CichlidsRock47

Dec 11, 2011
      This was her when she was younger....

46195.jpg

3. MonitorSpiderCichlid

MonitorSpiderCichlid MFK Members

Mr. MSP
      Dec 17, 2011
      It should work..... red devil's small mouth cant really catch the africans! Jaguars and dovii's can suck them up no problem.
      She is pretty!

4. HokieFish

HokieFish MFK Members

Aug 19, 2014
      If you RD is that agressive, be ready for more dead fish. She will corner them eventually and kill them, or stress them out to the point that she makes them sick.
      Personally I wouldn't do it because i don't like mixing african and american cichlids. Each type of fish likes different water conditions, and it seems out of place to me, but to each their own.

5. cacichlids

cacichlids MFK Members

Jun 5, 2012
      She will kill them. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but she will.

6. SH300

SH300 MFK Members

Nov 5, 2011
      Give them hiding spots i had a neet with a breeding pair of red devils in a 4x2x2 and it worked very well, not only did the neet survive it kept the devils on their toes. Not sure if the Africans can be compared to the neet but i would of thought their aggression is similar.

7. joe jaskot

joe jaskot MFK Members

25 minutes ago
      It could work if your water conditions are suitable to both the red devil and the afican cichlids. I know someone who keeps lamprologus multifasciatus and julidochromis transcriptus in with their arowanas. The key would be to provide a high enough pH for the africans and enough rockwork for them to hide in.

8. clekchau

clekchau MFK Members

Chaidan
      Jun 21, 2015
      if you cram fish in a tank african style sure, i had a 200 with a ton of africans and a green terror, red devil and they lived fine for years. most people on this forum would shudder at the thought but it was a really cool tank in my eyes.

9. jiant2520

jiant2520 MFK Members

Anthony
      May 10, 2015
      I personally don't like mixing the two, but as far as water conditions it will not matter. In the pet store they are all (African & CA/SA) kept in the same water types. I have both, in seperate tanks, but the water conditions are the same for each... I do nothing different. Unless they are wild caught the water will not matter IMO. As for your RD's aggression?? She will probably kill them eventually. I once had a Demansoni in a 125g with some large SA/CA, but that was only because I could not catch him... they are really fast. Good luck.

10. HybridGS

HybridGS MFK Members

Jul 5, 2012
      I did it with 3" Yellow Labs, and the labs tore my 9" Devils fins to bits, the Devil never killed one.

Did it with an Oscar also and the Oscar swallowed some but they ripped his fins to bits to.

I currently have breeding trio of labs and tons of babys in with Aureus, Severum, Cutteri, Red hump Eartheater, Honduran Red Point and a pink convict and everything is fine.