Can You Mix Oscars and African Cichlids?

hairdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
norfolk, ne
I would say yes until the oscars get bigger. I have a couple of africans with my south americans and water parameters are not really a issue.

crisper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2008
over there boi
Mbuna are quite aggressive, adults will most probably kill the small oscars. The oscars won't grow and get chance to eat the africans.

spaulding

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
south bend, IN
i'd say do it. keep an eye on them, then if you have any probloms you can move on to plan B. fish keeping isn't as hard as some people like to make it (at least with most "common" fish).

excuzzzeme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Connecticut Shoreline
Most fish have personalities and moods much like humans do. They will or won't get along regardless of species. I have one Oscar that hates everybody and everything and that includes any rocks or driftwood in his tank. The only other fish I have been able to keep with him is a 12" Common Plec and a 4.5" Pink Convict. Anything else becomes lunch. These 3 are fish total in a 90 gallon tank. because of it

My other Oscar on the other hand in a 100gallon tank, loves everybody and everything. At one point there were approximately 15 zebra convicts in the same tank that were supposed to be feeders but he "made friends" with them and got all depressed and wouldn't eat when I took them out. Go figure. He now has 3 Copadichromis Borleyi and 2 3 inch female zebra cons for tank mates. The Borleyi 2 females are 6-8" and the male is 8-10"

All my fish are kept in the same water without additives or carbon, I have Malawi cichlids, Malawi Mbuna, SA/CA Cichlids, Indonesian, Thai, etc. They all have the same water but not the same food. They are all thriving with a normal growth and reproduction rate.

Like stated before, 90% or greater of the fish in the US are farm or tank bred. Very few are F0's.As a result it is not as essential to match the water of tank/farm bred to water that an F0 is used to.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
I have my 7" tiger oscar in a 125g with several african cichlids. My oscar is a big sweet heart. Doesn't bother any of it's tank mates. But I do watch them to make sure everyone is getting along. If any aggression developes I can always move the smaller africans to my 50g.

micstarz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Hong Kong
LKGRenegade22;2449753; said:
Ahh..they call came from the assorted cichlid tank at a LFS about a year ago. I'm honestly not exactly sure what they are. 2 are solid orange, 2 are light blue with dark blue vertical stripes and 2 are yellow with a black top fin. If that helps any.
Your malawis sound like eurekas, elec. blue haps and yellow labs to me...

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
the main problem will be the diet, the mbuna will get bloat if fed the kind of food oscars typically eat

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I would not keep Oscars with Mbuna. Oscar chow, or Mbuna punching bag!

I have less than 0 issue with my African Polleni Tilapia and my Oscars though!

No "Malawi BLOAT" issue with the tilapia eating "meat" bite for bite with the Oscars either!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store