Captive bred ornate question

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
I'm thinking about getting a captive bred ornate from fishrus. I know captive bred doesn't get as large so what would be the size range I'm looking at? Just the maximum potential size and smallest potential size. If anybody has a cb ornate could you tell me how big and how old your beautiful monster is? Thanks a bunch you guys

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Depends on how large urs gets ... If it gets 15-18 I'd say it be ok but if it hits 24" I doubt it .... It all depends on the genetics of that ornate depending on how inbred and linebred it has been

Reactions: Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
Depends on how large urs gets ... If it gets 15-18 I'd say it be ok but if it hits 24" I doubt it .... It all depends on the genetics of that ornate depending on how inbred and linebred it has been
I got you I want a monster but I don't want to worry about the rest of my upper jaws

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
i have two and i cant say for certain, but i assume they are both captive bred. Both were purchased at about six inches and one is now 18 inches and the other 17. The bigger one i have had for 4 years and the other about 3 years. the growth rate has slowed a lot but i think they are both still growing.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
I've raised both WC and CB ornates and nearly all have reached the 2 foot mark.
about how long did it take for yours to hit the 2 foot mark?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
All of mine hit the 2ft mark in about 3 years. Give or take. They're fed on earthworms, shiners, crayfish, sinking sticks, spirulina wafers w/beef heart or earthworms, hi-protein culture pellets, squid, clams, etc. I grew them out in 250 to 360 gal tanks. Adults were kept in one of the 450s or the 650gal.

Female ornate.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store