Cat I.d? Bought as karawara?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Did a couple of searches for karawara. Nothing meaningful comes up.

From what I see, it is not typical for a Centrodoras to have a spotted, mottled, or granulated appearance.

Next time ask for that to be put in writing, dated and signed. ;)

Based on what traits? You may be right, I'm just looking to learn. So little is known and so few photos of rivasi are out there.

Plus photos of the subject matter in a plastic bag may be misleading too but that's a separate matter. Bags have curvature which distorts the object being investigated.

So I agree with you. A bet may be appropriate, albeit my bet would be a granulosus. Statistically favored by many, many orders of magnitude.
I think you are right, I done a few hours of googling last night and there are quite a few granis with the same shape nose at this size, the image from scotcat is pretty much exactly the same fish. Just a shame they don't keep that cool juvenile shape eh...

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

This image

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Based on what traits? You may be right, I'm just looking to learn. So little is known and so few photos of rivasi are out there.

Plus photos of the subject matter in a plastic bag may be misleading too but that's a separate matter. Bags have curvature which distorts the object being investigated.

So I agree with you. A bet may be appropriate, albeit my bet would be a granulosus. Statistically favored by many, many orders of magnitude.
a very good point about the bag, but from the pics provided the black spots stand out a little bit more to me then a normal granny, but like you said its nothing more then a bet at this point.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yea, IMHO you have been handed a granulosus under some (I'm guessing) local name that the world knows not. You can propose to them that next time they sell a fish with a fake name and fake max size, they should be willing to take fake money. That sounds fair to me.

Having not much guts, I make safe bets. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store