ceramic rings

Train

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Ohio
have any of you used these ceramic ring the brands called aquaneat 6000g for 35.00 dollars I plan on building a 300gallon aquerium In the future I was thing about putting these ceramic rings in the sump with some bio balls Screenshot_2016-02-13-12-55-58.png

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I have used them for years. They are great. they are durable and rinse easy. A great buy

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Me too! Bought a whole bunch of them, too inexpensive not to. I have them in the submerged part of my sump, my daughters nano tank and a few canister filters. I like having them in the bags so it's easy to jump start a tank with a bag or two.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Has anyone thought of using lava rock (100% natural charcoal) for submerged and pot scrubbies and emerged? Alot cheaper
While both of these materials have been proven to work as bio media, they have their disadvantages. How much actual surface lava rocks, scrubbies, and ceramic rings have is really unknown..........by anyone here anyways. Because of lava rocks and scrubbies large size and shape, they are better suited for sump systems. For canisters and HOBs, ceramic rings are the better choice just because they are much, much smaller and strategically shaped to maximize fit and flow. The design of ceramic rings also allows for better channeling of water flow even when they are tightly packed, basically allowing the maximum surface area in a constraint space. Another advantage to ceramic rings is the ease of cleaning. I don't particularly care for handling lava rocks due to its sharp and jaggedness, and scubbies just takes way too much time to rinse clean due to waste matter getting trapped deep within the core area.

Just my 2 cents ;)

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Scrubbies seem like they would trap alot of detritus.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
While both of these materials have been proven to work as bio media, they have their disadvantages. How much actual surface lava rocks, scrubbies, and ceramic rings have is really unknown..........by anyone here anyways. Because of lava rocks and scrubbies large size and shape, they are better suited for sump systems. For canisters and HOBs, ceramic rings are the better choice just because they are much, much smaller and strategically shaped to maximize fit and flow. The design of ceramic rings also allows for better channeling of water flow even when they are tightly packed, basically allowing the maximum surface area in a constraint space. Another advantage to ceramic rings is the ease of cleaning. I don't particularly care for handling lava rocks due to its sharp and jaggedness, and scubbies just takes way too much time to rinse clean due to waste matter getting trapped deep within the core area.

Just my 2 cents ;)
I do use pot scrubbies and are said to have 3 times the surface area per square inch compared to bio balls. I clean 160 pot scubbies every 3 months all I do is run them under water in the tub (well water) and hit them against the side of the tub just hard enough to dislodge all of the detritus.
As for lava rock I have never used it personally but my thoughts where breaking it up into smaller pieces and using a mesh laundry bag or 2 smaller mesh bags to put them in. As for the comparison lava rock vs. ceramic I have no idea which has the advantage of surface area but I do know lava rock is way more porus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store