Ceramic Tile good w/ RD?

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
Thinking im going to use ceramic tile to floor the tank. Easy to cut to size, and i can get a darker color with it. Also very clean, which is the big plus. Might change chemistry a bit but it shouldnt be major right? Mostly just concerned if the RD will be ok with any fluctuations in the chem.

Thanks

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Thinking im going to use ceramic tile to floor the tank. Easy to cut to size, and i can get a darker color with it. Also very clean, which is the big plus. Might change chemistry a bit but it shouldnt be major right? Mostly just concerned if the RD will be ok with any fluctuations in the chem.

Thanks
I use a lot of slate roof tiles in my tanks logi and they have worked just fine for years, in fact my fish love laying eggs on them, can't see ceramic being much different as the surface Is pretty similar, not sure if it will effect chemistry or not, I just boil everything before I put it in my tank to kill any nastsy's.

DBLN8

Dovii
MFK Member
There's a lot of tanks on here with ceramic tile as a substrate and most of them look great, the only thing I would worry about is the little gaps between the tile letting the detritus get under the tile and making maintenance a pain. Check Buphy Buphy thread I think he's done it.

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
Thanks guys! Bought some tile that is stone grey' kinda dark to contrast the bright white and orange RD. Just measured it and now im trying to find a tile cutter i could borrow. My local HD doesnt do it sadly...

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Hmm, I'd be leary of using it unless you caulk in between or grout as another member mentioned it could trap debris

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
Ive put sand in the cracks as a filler for now... Just a little of course.

If it becomes a problem im sure i could remove them once a month to deep clean.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
Alternatively you can run a very small bead of silicone in the cracks to keep waste and food out. Try to make sure not to silicone them down to the bottom of the tank though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store