Chain catshark eggs

jaybayless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Indiana
Hey dudes,

One of my chain catsharks laid her first two egg cases two weeks ago. This is the first time I've dealt with shark eggs. They both have yolks. I put them in an area with good water flow. Other than that I didn't know what else to do or look/watch for. If they turn out to not be viable eggs, will it be easily noticeable that the eggs have gone bad?

ccatsharkeggs.jpg

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
That's awesome, congratulations. One of the coolest things I've seen on here in a while. Did you place the eggs there where is that where she laid them?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
When my dad had eggs he'd put it on a veggie clip and candle them periodically to make sure they were still viable and to check the progress.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Congrats! my old fem would hold eggs/get big bellied, but absorb them. Hope they turn out for u! i agree u can candle them to see if there viable... Just dont let the eggs ever touch air. I think your lookin at 130-180 days until theyd potentially hatch.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Hey dudes,

One of my chain catsharks laid her first two egg cases two weeks ago. This is the first time I've dealt with shark eggs. They both have yolks. I put them in an area with good water flow. Other than that I didn't know what else to do or look/watch for. If they turn out to not be viable eggs, will it be easily noticeable that the eggs have gone bad?

View attachment 1174081
I have only encountered these a few times, but from what I understand if the eggs are not viable they will slowly shrivel up and rot and turn color. They may alos turn color anyway, so usually best to wait full-term and see what happens even if you think they are no good, that way you don't accidentally toss out a healthy embryo

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would clip one, and leave the other where she attached it, you don't want to move them to much. Congrats:D

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thats awesome,makes me miss my sharks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store