Cheap and Easy DIY Fluidized Bed Filter

KrabbeAquatics

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2012
Cincinnati, OH (U.S.)
www.youtube.com
I built this small Fluidized Bed filter just to see how the K1 media does. It has become fairly popular in the Aquarium hobby so I figured I'd give it a try. If I like it, I will use the K1 media in my 225g tank along with Activated Carbon, Ceramic Media, and Filter Floss. I built this based on this video by UaruJoey(not sure what his MFK username is):
http://youtu.be/ROkhHGIPwj4?hd=1

100_4103.JPG
100_4104.JPG
100B4110.JPG
100B4111.JPG
100B4112.JPG
100B4113.JPG

100_4103.JPG

100_4104.JPG

100B4110.JPG

100B4111.JPG

100B4112.JPG

100B4113.JPG

KrabbeAquatics

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2012
Cincinnati, OH (U.S.)
www.youtube.com
Also I wanted to add that I am only using a 20gph Air Pump on this. The higher gph you use, the more you will aggitate the media which will in turn make the filter a lot more effective. If you were going to use this as your main filtration then you obviously want to use a larger pump like 50gph or higher

KrabbeAquatics

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2012
Cincinnati, OH (U.S.)
www.youtube.com
bio media is supposed to build up a lot of beneficial bacteria. the more bacteria, the more effecient. for the size and cost of this it is actually very effective once cycled. K1 Kaldness media is IMO one of the best Bio media. Everyone has their own preference though. Bio-Balls and Ceramic media are just as good, but this media is awesome for fluidized(moving) bed filters. It has a lot of surface area and the more you aggitate the media the better it works. check out some videos on K1. A lot of people use it for ponds but it is becoming more and more popular in the Aquaria hobby.

RAN THE MAN9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2012
USA
hi i have some k1 filter media on order and i want to do the same thing that you have done. i have done some research reading forms and watching YouTube videos. i am wanting to make one for my 125 gallon south/central cichlid tank. just to add some extra filtration. do you have any advise or dos and don'ts anything would be appreciated!
thanks!

KrabbeAquatics

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2012
Cincinnati, OH (U.S.)
www.youtube.com
hi i have some k1 filter media on order and i want to do the same thing that you have done. i have done some research reading forms and watching YouTube videos. i am wanting to make one for my 125 gallon south/central cichlid tank. just to add some extra filtration. do you have any advise or dos and don'ts anything would be appreciated!
thanks!
Well the design is pretty straight forward. Just a bottle, media, pre-filter sponge, and air pump. I would recommend using a 100gph or higher air pump for your tank. Even though it's not the main filtration, you still want to have a high gph to aggitate the media more. The more you aggitate the media the more efficient it'll be. And DON'T use an air stone. The bigger the bubbles the more you aggitate the media, again, making it more efficient. Also try to use a larger bottle like a 1liter or bigger. I used a 1liter bottle, but for your tank you could use a 2liter if you wanted. The bigger the bottle the more media you can fit inside. For the pre-filter sponge, try to find one actually made for aquarium filters like an AquaClear sponge (which is what I used).

RAN THE MAN9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2012
USA
Well the design is pretty straight forward. Just a bottle, media, pre-filter sponge, and air pump. I would recommend using a 100gph or higher air pump for your tank. Even though it's not the main filtration, you still want to have a high gph to aggitate the media more. The more you aggitate the media the more efficient it'll be. And DON'T use an air stone. The bigger the bubbles the more you aggitate the media, again, making it more efficient. Also try to use a larger bottle like a 1liter or bigger. I used a 1liter bottle, but for your tank you could use a 2liter if you wanted. The bigger the bottle the more media you can fit inside. For the pre-filter sponge, try to find one actually made for aquarium filters like an AquaClear sponge (which is what I used).
ok awesome thank you very much!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Or use a power head pump with a pre filter

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: boldtogether

ToolMan78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2012
Costa Rica
It would seem that you need a bigger bottle and don't completely fill it. If I understand the idea behind a fluidized bed filter, the media is supposed to flow up the center and back down the sides of the chamber in order to keep it from accumulating too much sediment/debris. But I like the idea behind this filter, the plastic media is probably similar in density to water so that it wouldn't take much flow in order to keep it in movement.

Dullamite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2010
Portland, OR
Very informative, but how effective is this. Is it best used as a supplement yo your tanks filters?

Sent from my ADR6400L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store