chlorine tests

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
anyone have a liquid free and total chlorine test kit they like? I have the reagent strips but they are not working for me.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
"anything" test strips are garbage. waste of money
I disagree. You can't get really accurate readings from an API test because you can't be exact in your measurements. LaMotte test strips are accurate. I started using them for nitrates because API said my nitrates would not go below 80. Yes, I shook the bottles for 6 hours.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I disagree. You can't get really accurate readings from an API test because you can't be exact in your measurements. LaMotte test strips are accurate. I started using them for nitrates because API said my nitrates would not go below 80. Yes, I shook the bottles for 6 hours.
lol, i'll keep that in mind for the future, I just bought the API master saltwater test kit yesterday for $20, so i'm good :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The DPD method has (in the past) been my favorite down and dirty method for quickly determining chlorine and chloramine concentration in tap water. It does require a hand held monitor, which may have become reasonable in price, but I guess that's relative to perceived need.
Premeasured packets of dry reagent are provided, that line up withe the vial used in the spectrophotometer.
The ones I used came from Fisher Scientific
definition
Chlorine containing samples are reacted with N, N
-diethyl
p
phenylenediamine
sulfate in the presence of a suitable buffer. The indicator, buffer, and potassium
iodide are added in a combined powder form. Chloramines, chlorine and
hypochlorites all react to produce a pink color,
and this species is then measured
at 520 nanometers, using an LED based spectrophotometer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store