Chunky Silver AT Datnoid

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Here's my active 9" silver dat in fresh. Use to drop in 2 cups of salt in but stopped about 6 mos. ago to see how it will go. So far so good. Owned 2 others a while ago, but mine die off at 4-5". Have had NGT, NTT, 'Darth Vader' Indos X-Large and small. This one's got the biggest monster appetite of them all.

- Dat in the community -

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Love the stretched out shape of mature silvers and nice looking lusosso in there too.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks K-Rich. It's a sexfacuatus. Lussoso when bigger go buttaface and dark fast. Lol
Lol,buttface? I have had smaller ones to grow out but they ended up dying.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Lol,buttface? I have had smaller ones to grow out but they ended up dying.
BUTTERFACE or slang BUTTAFACE. A 'fish' With An Attractive Body But An Ugly Face.

Ya, same here in silver datnoids. Usually my prior silvers then starts to swim funny. That side to side rocking up/down buoyancy issue. Then gets dark like a Darth Vader indo. That's when I know it's gonna be a gonner.....

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
How do you guys get your Datnoids that chunky looking....my big 16 inch indo eats pellets and everything and he eats lots but he never gets that chunky look to him.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
BUTTERFACE or slang BUTTAFACE. A 'fish' With An Attractive Body But An Ugly Face.

Ya, same here in silver datnoids. Usually my prior silvers then starts to swim funny. That side to side rocking up/down buoyancy issue. Then gets dark like a Darth Vader indo. That's when I know it's gonna be a gonner.....
Ah yes buttaface,I was reading it wrong lol.
I'm starting to think that the early deaths might in fact have something to do with a possible salt requirement.
How do you guys get your Datnoids that chunky looking....my big 16 inch indo eats pellets and everything and he eats lots but he never gets that chunky look to him.
What kind of pellets are you using?....and keep in mind that the two species have different body shapes.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Not common at all to be chunky for indos and silvers when large. It does happen. I've owned about 12 indos sizes from 10- 17" in total. Some are somewhat thick but most will be normal bodied.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I
What kind of pellets are you using?....and keep in mind that the two species have different body shapes.
North fin USA Carnivore pellets

Crude Protein (Min) : 48%
Crude Fat (Min): 7%
Crude Fiber (Max): 3%
Moisture (Max): 9%
Ash (Max): 9%
and I also feed whole smelt

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
Ahh finally an AT post!
It's a refreshing sight to still be able to see a hobbyist showcasing a healthy AT in freshwater.
These smaller silverish Dats are so underrated compared to its other more desirable cousins. He does look menacing with that high hunch on him. Definitely a keeper!
This could debunk any doubts about keeping AT in FW.

Good job on grooming that piece into a healthy and especially a chunky Dat.
Thanks for the vid upload too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store