Cichlids / Cloudy Eye

Kayte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2016
Utah
So I am posting this on behalf of my friend. He has cichlids... a lot of cichlids. I gave him my 40 gallon breeder tank along with a canister filter as he wanted the cichlids from the guy I bought my 300 gallon acrylic aquarium from. So he set up the new 40 gallon tank, removed 10 from his 150 gallon into the 40 to make room for the new fish I gave him in his 150. His plan was to find new homes for the fish he placed in the 40 gallon. Now these fish all have Cloudy Eye. One has died and the others are not doing so well.

I think there are a few things going on with this tank. One... he did not cycle it. Two... he has overstocked it. Three... he added plants to the tank a few days ago. Four... the motor on the canister filter is not working as it should. My friend has had his 150 gallon tank for 10 years now. It is a well established tank. He doesn't seem to know to much about the nitrate cycle. I think what is happening here is it is "New Tank Syndrome" which has compromised his cichlids immune system so when he put the new plants in whatever parasites that came in with the new plants have had time to establish themselves with the fish.

So my advice to him was this... Get a new canister filter. I gave him mine. He is helping build a sump for my 300 gallon aquarium. It is the least I can do. Get himself a bottle of Tetras SafeStart and use it to establish the bacteria in the new canister filter. I also told him to place as much filter media from the old canister into the new one and do a 75% to 90% water change prior to using Tetras SafeStart. Then watch the water parameters like a hawk. He finally bought himself the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I gave him my bottle of Kordon AmQuel Ammonia Control because it is what I had on hand from my last aquarium and told him to use it until his tank cycles properly.

He has had some of these fish for a number of year so naturally he is a bit upset. But I did point out to him he was planning on selling them. I reminded him this is a valuable learning experience and that if we can figure out how to save these fish, we will both know exactly how to prevent it or treat it if, heaven forbid, this happens to his larger tank or my 300 gallon tank.

Was my advice good? Is there anything else that he needs to do? Is there any medication for the cloudy eye that he should dose with? Any and all advice would be much appreciated.... the sooner the better.

Cheers,
Kayte

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Advice was good. Keep the wc's up, 1-2times per day if needed,and keep checking the water numbers. Gotta wait till the BB can be fully established and that may still take weeks.

Reduce feedings. Get a larger tank or reduce fish if ur friend can't keep with wc's or keeping clean water.

Clean water will clear up the cloudy eye. Usually a first sign of bad water.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Kayte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Talk about frustrations.... My friend is not heeding my advice. He is just medicating the bejeezus out of his fish and is wondering why he wakes up in the morning to them floating perpendicular to the surface of the water. Unbelievably they are still even alive. He has only lost one so far. Just like in human health care, some people think a little pill will solve all their health woos. All I can say is those poor fish. What a mess.

Kayte

Kayte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Oh god... he put live sand in the tank! Wait... was that a good thing to do? It would be nice of I can get a group of you to respond so I can tell him that so many people who are fish freaks like him with way more experience agree with my advice. Maybe he will listen?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Oh god... he put live sand in the tank! Wait... was that a good thing to do? It would be nice of I can get a group of you to respond so I can tell him that so many people who are fish freaks like him with way more experience agree with my advice. Maybe he will listen?
wish I could help, but answers are already in this thread. idk what to say. People are just stubborn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store