Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Circle Hooks Lower Catch Rate for Offshore Anglers, Impacting Recreational Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing forum' started by HarleyK, Apr 4, 2012.

1. HarleyK

HarleyK Canister Man
      Staff Member

Today at 10:48 AM
      ScienceDaily (Mar. 28, 2012) — Anglers are required to use circle hooks in some fishing tournaments because they are less likely to cause lethal injuries in billfish, such as marlin. However, research from North Carolina State University shows that broadening circle hook requirements could adversely impact charter and recreational fishing, since they make it more difficult to catch non-billfish.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120328113330.htm

120328113330.jpg

120328113330.jpg

2. wantokeeptrout

wantokeeptrout MFK Members

Dec 12, 2014
      I say deal with it. Much more fun and rewarding to catch fish with more difficult setups plus improved survival rates are always a plus for the industry as a whole. Plus it makes release far less stressful and dangerous for the fish or anglers. Though i don't have to almost all of my hooks are barbless.

3. sbuse

sbuse MFK Members

May 7, 2014
      i personally hate circle hooks. never have had ANY work the way they were supposed to. octopus hooks for the win!

4. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing MFK Members

Yesterday at 10:50 PM
      I use both and to me, they are pretty much equal when it comes to hauling a fish in.

5. NCStateFisher

NCStateFisher MFK Members

Sunday at 1:51 AM
      to hell with commercial fisheries anyways, though i think for charters they should allow regular hooks, if you're dealing with people that dont know what they're doing and you're trying to get em on fish - need every advantage possible

6. likestofish

likestofish MFK Members

Jan 16, 2015
      If it protects the fish leave them be. It is called fishing not catching. You just got to learn how to use the circle hooks.

7. Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Feb 11, 2015
      Screw the circle hooks. They suck out loud

8. TheTedP

TheTedP MFK Members

Jan 3, 2014
      They work fine unless you are conditioned to set the hook or pull while the fish is running towards you. My experience with both fresh and salt water fishing is that if you do it right, you'll get a corner of the mouth hook up.

I've even been successful fishing largemouth with a senko hooked wacky and thought the end with circle hooks.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

9. shamboner

shamboner MFK Members

Feb 1, 2015
      I have never had an issue with circle hooks and prefer them when ever im using live or fresh bait.

10. jpcampbell123

jpcampbell123 MFK Members

Tuesday at 9:33 PM
      i have used them several times for large catfish and never had any issues with them even used them in sw too.

john