Clown an aggressive host?

nub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2010
south of you
Can a clown be too aggressive with its anemone?

I have a tomato clown that I've had for about a year and is about two inches long. I originally got a green bubble tip to see if it would host which it did. For the first couple of months everything seemed great but it seemed the clown was really rough the way it dove in and out and flailed about while in the anemone.

The anemone eventually started wandering, stopped extending and would find confined spaces as though it were hiding from the clown. It eventually stopped eating, withered away and died.

I did have some issues with my tank setup which I've since resolved and basically did a "reset" in December. I attributed the demise of the anemone to my unstable water. All of my corals started growing and showing nice colors with the more stable water parameters so I thought I'd try again.

I got a rose bubble tip about a month ago and again everything seemed fine with the clown showing the same behavior as before. Now this anemone started doing the same as the last about a week ago. Even now the rose in in a crevice, closed almost completely and the clown is basically forcing itself inside.

I'm worried I'm going to loose this anemone and wondering if this clown is just too "enthusiastic" in it's behavior.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I don't have a quarantine tank to separate them but my LFS would take the fish in trade if I decided to go that direction. I have another smaller tomato which is much more gentle. It's almost like two kids where one jumps up and down on the couch and the other is contempt to sit and chill.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
It is possible. Is the fish much bigger then the anemone? If it is try a bigger anemone or smaller fish.

nub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2010
south of you
Is the fish much bigger then the anemone?

In both cases no. Both anemone when open I would estimate to be the size of a softball or a little bigger and I would say the clown is about like a ping pong ball.

I took the clown out of the tank in the hopes the anemone will recover considering it cost 4X what I paid for the fish.

Still interested in opinions though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store