clown loach black spots

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
So a number of my clown loaches appear to have developed distinct black spots (like freckles) on their bodies. The spots are most prominent on the loaches with somewhat faded bars. I don't think this is diplopstomiasis (the fish are well-established, the spots aren't elevated and I don't have any seagulls or snails in my tank). All the loaches appear to be active with healthy appetites. Have other people experienced this?

I found an interesting thread about this on the loaches online forum, where one member provided some evidence that the spots may be caused fluctuations in TDS. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other forums but here it is (Mods can remove if inappropriate): http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2148&start=45

I don't have a TDS meter, but I have been doing pretty large water changes on this tank (~25-50%, ~3X per week) so I'm wondering if that might be the issue. For the rest of you with clowns, what's your water change schedule and do you know if there's a difference in TDS between your tap and tank water? Has anyone else observed a connection between water changes and the appearance of black spots?

george09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
peterborough on
ummm, i know what your talking about. I do 25 % water change every week along with basic filter and jet pack cleaning. All my loaches are fine healthy as well, my newest loach about 3 months old has these spots. I never really worried about it as the fish looked health to me. i wouldnt be to worried about it, if u have the same spots i do. think of them like freckles some people have them some people dont. but also some loach keepers say they noticed them in some spawning cases but they are not well documented.

Zeppelin3k

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2006
Appleton, WI
i have 2 loaches with this, had them both for almost 2 years now and i still dont know what it is. i will try and get some pics. its weird becuause they come and go.

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I don't know about the spots, but I do know about TDS or total dissolved solids for those reading and unaware of what that means. Anyhow, with loaches it can be a big deal, at least from my unfortunate experience. I lost a large one 6 inches or so due to the rapid change of that more than anything as the other water params were similar to the tank it came from, however that tank was planted so tds differed significantly and my parents not knowing any better dumped it in when it should of been dripped slowly. Pretty much can burn their gills right out from what I am told if not done slowly.
So all in all, I would be careful with those water changes and invest in a tds meter too.

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
By the way, nice tank, I have been through your build thread before and was extremely impressed and wish I was talented enough to do the same.

george09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
peterborough on
nice loaches, i would keep on regular maintenance just keep an eye out to see if he is acting weird as if the dots hurt him. other than that they look healthy to me :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store