CO2 Cylinder Conversion

titanium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2014
India
www.petschennai.com
Hi Friends,

I have one doubt. Few months back I bought one CO2 cylinder for my planted aquarium. Now I dismantled that planted aquarium. So can I use that CO2 cylinder as to store Oxygen cylinder....

Kindly Advice me...

Titanium from Pets Chennai

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
You could do it but having a pressurized canister full of oxygen would be a bad idea in my opinion. One little spark or an accident in the aquarium room and that canister becomes a highly pressurized bomb. I like the idea of diffusing oxygen into the water and I know those canisters are sealed and everything but its a risk.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Ya that's a frightening thought. o2 cans are way to dangerous to have in a house when you don't specifically need them lol

matthewr262

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2015
Willowick. OH
Your best bet is to take it to Airgas or Praxair and swap the cylinder, most bottles are color coordinated. Co2 being grey and oxygen green. Most gas stores don't refill and if they did wouldn't refill into the wrong color bottle. As long as the date stamp on the bottle you have is up to date and exchange for the same size bottle with be lateral with ball park $20 on your end for new gas.

matthewr262

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2015
Willowick. OH
I don't see the benefit from it, but I don't see the risk. Oxygen needs to be mixed with a fuel to burn, its an accelerant but not flammable by itself. No you wont explode from a spark. Modern gas cylinders have flash back arrestors also.

Reactions: rodger

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Safety is reason whay i give my co2 cylinder to firefighters. If u wanted o2 at home just buy compresor. I bought this one week ago.
It's small version. I clean dust out of my pc xD You can fill fish bags etc....
20150701_205342.jpg 20150701_205254.jpg

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
1.5 Hp
6L
8bar

Prfect for home use. Its just around 35cm x 38cm x 25cm. You can throw compresor in closet :)
You can't go wrong with this small version for under 120€ if u need 02 at home.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Safety is reason whay i give my co2 cylinder to firefighters. If u wanted o2 at home just buy compresor. I bought this one week ago.
It's small version. I clean dust out of my pc xD You can fill fish bags etc....
View attachment 1127924 View attachment 1127925
1.5 Hp
6L
8bar

Prfect for home use. Its just around 35cm x 38cm x 25cm. You can throw compresor in closet :)
You can't go wrong with this small version for under 120€ if u need 02 at home.

There is a huge difference between using pressurized air (that you show above) and using oxygen (what this thread is about). Besides, if you just want air in the bags, all you have to do is learn how to bag fish properly. No need for a compressor.

OP, you are best to just try and find a new cylinder. Perhaps trade the CO2 for an O2 tank. I'm not sure of any place here that would even consider filling with something other than what is labeled. I'm guessing it probably isn't that much different over there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store