CO2 Cylinder Conversion

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I don't see the benefit from it, but I don't see the risk. Oxygen needs to be mixed with a fuel to burn, its an accelerant but not flammable by itself. No you wont explode from a spark. Modern gas cylinders have flash back arrestors also.
oxygen is not a flammable gas. he asked about o2. o2 needs an initial activation energy before it begins reacting. oxygen oxidizes the surroundings, something that seems non flammable quickly becomes flammable with the addition of oxygen. this activation could be caused by a spark or a small flame due to a problem in a fish room. so with pure o2 he is basically covering the area in gasoline if a spark happens and it's leaking. if he is referring to air then it will not combust under standard conditions

Last edited:

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
now the co2 suffocation discussion. we will say in a standard size room 12000 cubic feet so 50 ft by 30ft by 8ft. we will need at least 3% of the room to be carbon dioxide in order for it to be 100% deadly. now a 20 lb tank with the conversion over to gas holds around 175 cubic feet of co2. this equates to approximately 1.4% if the room was completely sealed off. so given that if there was any circulation in the room, or even a crack underneath the door or an open window there is no chance on suffocation from co2. even if the room was half that size

matthewr262

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2015
Willowick. OH
Noted, now in your "standard" size room saturation goes both ways. Both gasses can be deadly especially if under a cabinet or in a utility room behind the tank and wall.
Take my risks and run my bottles, I'm a Bodyman and the one bottle that scares me is my acetylene. Unstable gas that can explode on its own if moving over 30psi, goodbye me, cars, garage, 1/4 of the house...

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Noted, now in your "standard" size room saturation goes both ways. Both gasses can be deadly especially if under a cabinet or in a utility room behind the tank and wall.
Take my risks and run my bottles, I'm a Bodyman and the one bottle that scares me is my acetylene. Unstable gas that can explode on its own if moving over 30psi, goodbye me, cars, garage, 1/4 of the house...
acetylene is very deadly. poke a hole in the bottom of a cup attach it to the acetylene while it's upside down on the ground so the cup fills then hold the torch to it...first time I almost s*** my pants, don't try this at home unless you know what your doing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store