Cobalt Blue Lobster (crayfish)

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
i bought a blue cray before and put it in with an small oscar and some tiger barbs, was gorgeous and completely fine....... until it molted and they ate its legs off :(

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
Sarah88;3554830; said:
i bought a blue cray before and put it in with an small oscar and some tiger barbs, was gorgeous and completely fine....... until it molted and they ate its legs off :(
Molting is the most dangerous time for a crayfish. Nearly anything can kill one in that period where they are soft.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
yeah i was really disappointed he was gorgeous but definitely learned my lesson, maybe now i have a extra little 20g L i plan on setting up as a planted tank i can get one for it........

snead

Feeder Fish
Jun 17, 2016
Try to find out it's scientific name. They are many species that have been selectively bred for the 'electric blue' coloration - many of which are native US crays (P. alleni, P. clarkii are a few). If that is the case, they are totally freshwater, and I suggest one or one pair in a 10 gallon tank. When they get large enough, they could be housed with cichlids, but give them plenty of hiding spots becuase they could get killed/eaten when moulting.
I am unfamiliar with the blue crays from Australia so sorry I can't help out with that part. I know they get some monsters out there. Others are very similar to US crays and care should be given in a similar fashion.
The LFS near me brought in a Cobalt Blue, the bright blue crayfish that come from Australia I believe. I've always wanted one, but I fear that I don't have the proper equipment.

What size tank do these guys require? Are these a purely freshwater or brackish species? And I am aware that crayfish are iffy on tankmates sometimes, would larger CA cichlids and a Lace Cat be okay housed with him?

It's not worth risking what I already have, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
Where can I find one I'm in Florida

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store