COCONUT CRABS FOR SALE?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I totally understand where you are coming from.

pwx72

Feeder Fish
Mar 27, 2013
Las Vegas
Hi everyone! I have coconut crabs that I'd like to sell as pets. Do you all know if there is a market for them here in the US?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
These have been in the trade a few times over the decades. They have a primitive respiratory system that seems prone to developing chronic and critical infections whenever kept in a captive situation. I read somewhere (a long time ago) that these crabs rely on the specific environment of their localities to properly balance the moisture levels in their modified gills throughout the day. Something that's not impossible to achieve in captivity but, I imagine it would be costly.

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
Always loved there look but man they get big.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
These have been in the trade a few times over the decades. They have a primitive respiratory system that seems prone to developing chronic and critical infections whenever kept in a captive situation. I read somewhere (a long time ago) that these crabs rely on the specific environment of their localities to properly balance the moisture levels in their modified gills throughout the day. Something that's not impossible to achieve in captivity but, I imagine it would be costly.
Yup. I think access to fresh and salt water ponds is necessary as well.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This has got to be the uber exotic wet pet...it certainly is for me.I would soo have a group in the proper enclosure and environmental conditions if I were a wealthy man.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store