compatibility?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
7 foot should be ok. A 4 foot sump is good as well. What kind of media system (wet/dry, fluidized, etc) are you using?

Something else i would say is add in some current. Current serves a few purposes-
1) increases oxegyn due to miving water at surface
2) moves around debris so it can be filter
3) tires out fish so they are less likely to fight. Ive actually had really good results in the past with a crapload of current keeping aggression down.

I wouldnt try it with 2-6 of everything even as juvies... You have so many different aggression levels, sizes, and growth rates shoved in there as well as potentially different water makeups that i highly doubt it will go well... I would say that Jags, Festae, and Salvini are at the top in aggression and at least should be kept out of a mixed tank like that... Texas, GTs, And JDs are a category below, and Os, Sevs, and EEs are often pretty peaceful. Then you have growth rates, with GT espicially slow growing, and the rest medium with Oscars being at the top.... As they get bigger faster other cant compete well.

I would still say primarily driftwood for that tank esp if he foes for SA. Rocks catch more debris and ive had times where they cause damage to scuffling fish if they have edges at all, although not often... Driftwood adds to the natural look IMO and makes caves if you get enough piled together. Some verieties sink right away and come of more block-like shapes which create many hiding spaces
you had a tank for a few weeks and now you're giving the 30-year men lessons? Relax and learn something, dude

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
you had a tank for a few weeks and now you're giving the 30-year men lessons? Relax and learn something, dude
??? problems man?

if you want to stop others from sharing their opinions you could just say so. im not sure were i said something that warranted said response, but ok.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
??? problems man?

if you want to stop others from sharing their opinions you could just say so. im not sure were i said something that warranted said response, but ok.
you don't understand why I disagree w/ you basically saying I should just ignore and throw away my data and experience because you have your opinion, based on fish you've never even kept, that I have?

Yea, Kid...I got a ******* problem with that.

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
you don't understand why I disagree w/ you basically saying I should just ignore and throw away my data and experience because you have your opinion, based on fish you've never even kept, that I have?

Yea, Kid...I got a ******* problem with that.
i didnt say what you SHOULD do. i didnt say what the OP SHOULD do. i said what I would do. so i guess now i have a problem with you...

and cut it with the kid crap. imma be paying for your ass after you retire. im allowed to share my opinon ok old man

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
Lmao! MFK never fails to amuse me.
same... people dont seem to realize i love to talk crap, espicially if i feel like i didnt do anything...

so, Mr. Castle, lets go

maybe pm it... wouldnt want to get you in trouble for screwing up this guys thread

sincerest apologies to OP, honestly.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
same... people dont seem to realize i love to talk crap, espicially if i feel like i didnt do anything...

so, Mr. Castle, lets go

maybe pm it... wouldnt want to get you in trouble for screwing up this guys thread

sincerest apologies to OP, honestly.
Just remember who your talking to

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Ah, the epitome of teenagers, knows everything and is an expert in things he hasn't been doing long.

Back on topic, OP.

Depends on what you want out of the tank, if you are looking for some aggressiveness in the tank, then bail on the geos, severums, and salvini and go for the jags, festae, jacks, GT, Oscars. Geos and severums are more peaceful but can typically handle themselves just fine, but they don't get big and I could see some issues in the future with a 16-18" Jag picking on them, as well if you ended up with a male festae.

Personally, I would do a Geo only or a Geo/Severum tank, but I am partial to Geos. You could have a very nice setup with some Geos, nice dither fish, etc. G. Abalios, G. Dicrozoster are nice, as Logi mentioned, Red Head Tapajos are also nice. You could always do altifrons, etc. Jurupari are nice, but I wouldn't do a large group of them. You could also look into heckelii, but I wouldn't do a group of them, I would only put one in.
I personally have Abalios and Dicrozosters and like them a great deal. If you have done the large, aggressive cichlids before, then a Geo tank is a nice change of pace. Nice not having to worry about fish beating each other up, they also do a pretty good job of keeping a tidy tank.
With that being said, make sure you are prepared to have a sandy substrate, as Geos dig and sift all day (hence the name). I wouldn't do a thick layer, just enough for them to dig around in.

There shouldn't be any issues with you deciding on groupings and getting 2-6 of each, assuming you pick juvies, if you decide on Geos I would get whatever groups make you happy and keep them. A 260 gallon tank will be fine for a good amount of time while you decide which candidates you'd like to keep and let the attitudes come out of the fish.

I see you have a "4ft sump" but what type of sump are you going to be running?

lukenewton

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2016
The sump is a k1 filter it has 50 litres of k1 being moved around by multiple air stones

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store