Considering stingrays

Fletberbill

Feeder Fish
Nov 22, 2015
Hi all, new to the forum but not fish keeping.

Been keeping fish probably for a good 30 years on and off, I'm currently selling off the last of my Frontosa and am going back to a good old South American type set up.

I'm seriously considering giving Ray's a go as it's something I've never kept.

My tank is 84 x 30 x 26 inches.

What would be a good beginner Ray that would be good in a tank of my size also what sort of tank mates are good?

Probably lots more questions to come but I would like an idea of species to start with.

Thanks in advance.

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
well since a female motoro can go 30" in disk alone i would stick with hystrix or retic but store bought retics are usually in poor health.

Geophagus
arowana
clown loaches
silver dollars
but other than the arowana stingrays will usually eventually kill fish at night

Fletberbill

Feeder Fish
Nov 22, 2015
well since a female motoro can go 30" in disk alone i would stick with hystrix or retic but store bought retics are usually in poor health.

Geophagus
arowana
clown loaches
silver dollars
but other than the arowana stingrays will usually eventually kill fish at night
Thanks for the reply.

I was actually looking at the hysterix as I believe they don't grow too big.

I was also thinking about an arowana as my tank is 30 inches deep so would be nice to have a surface swimmer. I also have 6 geophagus alto frond that could possibly go in there.

How easy/hard are hysterix to care for?

Ashley106

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2014
England
A good cheap first Ray that cheap would be a motoro n get a male but hystrix or mini marbles would go in that tank male or female myb even a pair , as said geos arrows dats dollers n more , as tank mates , hystrix wild c are a little tricky to get eating but once over that hurdle are same as Any other Ray

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
A good cheap first Ray that cheap would be a motoro n get a male but hystrix or mini marbles would go in that tank male or female myb even a pair , as said geos arrows dats dollers n more , as tank mates , hystrix wild c are a little tricky to get eating but once over that hurdle are same as Any other Ray
I wouldn't consider a motoro at all. even a male is going to be cramped in there I would say.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
For a first ray, a reticulated is a poor choice. They are often brought in in terrible health, are a pain to get to eat, they grow extremely slow, their patterns arent very interesting, they are very skittish, if you wanted to breed them you'll have to wait 5 years, and their long tails attract other fish to nibble on them.
I would go with a hystrix or a mini marble. You could defenitely keep 2 males, or a pair.
Both are relatively inexpensive, easy to transfer to new foods, small, interesting patterns, hardy, and very social.
Good luck!!

Reactions: millerkid519

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
I'd definitely go with Hystrix, they stay small, are very enjoyable and have a unique shape.
As previously stated, don't get a retic, more often than not they are unhealthy and are fussy eaters, basically I second everything that Dan said.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store