converting a cistern into a fish tank? anyone done this? 8'x11'x24'

metalotaku

Feeder Fish
Aug 30, 2015
i have a large cistern, not in use\not hooked up, that is roughly 8ft deep x 11ft wide x 24ft long. it shares a wall with my basement and has access panels on and is directly below my covered porch. basement wall is cinder blocks, porch is poured concrete. can see the tank where a block was removed and it appears to be glazed of some sort on the outside. maybe inside too. so either fired clay or concrete. it was installed when the house was built in 1965. not sure when the house was converted to city water and the cistern taken offline.

i want to convert it into a fresh water fish tank. by cutting a hole in my porch and inlaying a piece of acrylic, and removing part of the cinder block wall cutting into the tank and putting in a acrylic window. i want to make a cabinet on my porch for the plumbing and run that threw one of the access ports on the porch, and use the access as a way clean inside the tank, feed animals, and such. there are also 2 spout ports disconnected from the gutter system but are still open to the tank with clay pots as lids.

has anyone done anything like this their old cistern? one guy in my area has but don't know him or seen pics, the plumber who worked on my house told me of this gentleman's great feet. please and thank you.

wcgunns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
DFW, Texas
Sounds awesome with around 15,800 gallons of water. Not sure how thick of a piece of acrylic you'd need with it being 8' deep. What size viewing window are you thinking or possibly multiple windows?

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Don't see why it wouldn't work if it held water before as long as when you cut out the window you reinforce. My tank is built into the corner of my basement, using the corner walls and floor.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Can u show some pics of this cistern.
Sure every thing is posible whay not.
Multiple windows and here we go. :)
Awesome huge dimensions.
This acrylic window will cost you insane money. Must be crazy thick because tank will be deep. But in the end everything is worth it :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store