Convict Cichlids Fighting After Unsuccessful Spawn

Soco

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2015
Johannesburg
www.vetexonline.co.za
Here is a pic of the tank with the male convict sitting outside of the females hiding spot which is inside the green plant/trunk :) sorry about the bluryness haha thats the bubbles Photo on 2015-08-18 at 5.34 PM.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
That tank will fine for the convicts for a little while. I would try adding about 6 tiger barbs to the mix to see if this may help with the territorial issue before resorting to a divider

Soco

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2015
Johannesburg
www.vetexonline.co.za
Thank you guys for all the info, definitely something to keep an eye on and I'm willing to try anything in order to get everything hunky dory again :)

I will have a look at the fish stores around me for tiger barbs, if for some reason they don't have them, is there any other options that I could try? Only saying this because I haven't seen any lately where I live (South Africa)

Soco

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2015
Johannesburg
www.vetexonline.co.za
Just a quick update:

The fish have paired up again and all is well, they have spawned yet again and from what I can see all the fry are doing well! :D

Ill post some pics if the fry make it this time, but so far so good :)

Reactions: convict360

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
That pattern will persist. After a spawn the female is obviously not holding eggs and aggression will result, after a few weeks; once she has become gravid they will become friends again and the ritual continues. You could lower water temp to prevent spawning behavior.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I would add some small dither fish(ie,a Danio, barb or swordtail) to take pressure off your female. You are a little on the smaller side at 25g, so I would stick with a smaller species of dither/target fish.

Soco

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2015
Johannesburg
www.vetexonline.co.za
I have just used the tank calculator on this website, says 31.5 gallons.. It was sold to me as a 25.5 gallon but maybe they picked up the wrong one haha, so yeah I'm working with a 31.5 gallon or 118 liter tank :)

I will have a look around for the dither fish depending on how this spawn goes :)

Im not sure if it is wise to introduce new dither fish now wouldn't that create unnecessary tension for the cons?

Southjerseycichlidz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
I have a pair in a 29 and they spawn every two weeks... You could put an egg crate divider in the middle. I've had them lay on an egg crate and the eggs hatch on the divider them pull they fry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store