Cost Effective Water Conditioners

heartsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2015
Yeah i heard good thing about seahem too, too bad the store that sell them is too far away so tetra have to do for now. Thanks RD

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
I have been using Kordon Novaqua Plus instant conditioner per suggestion from my LFS. I just purchase a 1 gallon for $35.00 and this 1 gallon treats up to 7700 gallons. Like to added protective coating and organic herbs and vitamins. So far my fish are happy so I am happy.

heartsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2015
I need a recomment for chemical that safe fo scaleless in every situation. Chemical in store near me dont have the ingredient so idk what safe and what not.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
FYI ......... Kordon Novaqua Plus instant conditioner is simply watered down sodium thiosulfate, with some gimmicky extras added to it. Organic herbs? WTF?

It cannot bind free ammonia, so I most certainly wouldn't advise anyone with chloramine to use it, despite what the salesman at the LFS says.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am a SeaChem safe fan, been using for years now, as stated before 70 bucks or so get you 2.2 LBS or 1KG, this will treat up to 200,000g water. same thing as prime but a hell of allot more cost effective. I do an easy 400 to 500g water changes a week. i do not pre mix. empty tank to fin level, measure it in and then fill. have never had an issue with any fish.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I bought my first 4KG bucket of Safe on sale several years ago for approx. $75 US. @ 2 ppm chloramine (my tap water value year round) I can treat a total of 526,400 gallons of tap water with that single pail. That's a hella lot of water!

The only product cheaper than that is bulk sodium thiosulfate, but due to having chloramine (not chlorine) treated tap water I decided to use a product that would safely bind free ammonia residual as well as the chlorine residual.

heartsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2015
RD i need your help please. I bough a bottle of prime by seahem ( tried to find stabliy but cant ) and i put in the right amount for 75 gl tank and my 10 gl tank, i waited 2 days then do a water test but nitrite, nitrate lv still crazy high, alkaliny is high, water is really hard and ph is 8.0. I did do 25% water change every 2 days but no improve, my flowerhorn not active any more and that really worry me. What can i do to fix this and how do i know if my tank is cycle? It geen running for more than a month now.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If you have nitrites, then your tank is not cycled. You might want to post over in the Flowerhorn section for more help. Good luck.

agirard2003

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
Belle River, Ontario, Canada
I recently purchased a 1lb bag from Kensfish and mixed accordingly to the instructions on the bag. The bag said to dissolve the crystals in lukewarm tap water, stir till all dissolved and pour into 1 gallon jug and top of with water.
Everything i have read and seen on youtube regarding the mixing of this product is to use Dionized or distilled water.
My question is by using tap water according to the instructions ruined this batch of solution or does it not mater? and what is the shelf life of this product once mixed?

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store