crocodilian questions

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
I am wondering what some of the laws are for caiman,alligator and crocodiles with both owning and shipping across state lines. I'm looking at getting something with a little more teeth but I want to make sure I do all the research I can. also if you have any species that you keep feel free to post a pic and talk to the other croc keepers out there.

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
Don't just look at state rules. Many areas have restrictions against crocodilians based on city and county as well. In michigan, it is legal to own crocodilians, but most cities and townships have banned owning them.

Here is a picture of my little rescue girl, Allie.
20160124_202331.jpg

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
as far as the state laws go I'm good. I'm in Minnesota the city laws I'm also fine but i don't know about shipping laws like Spectacled caiman,Cuvier's dwarf caiman,Smooth-fronted caiman,Yacare caiman, and american alligators like yours Fishfreak are all under CITIES: Appendix II but Morelet's crocodile and Nile crocodiles are under CITES: Appendix I and yet I see more Morelet's for sale then Yacare caiman. also I've been told it is illegal to ship Spectacled caiman across state lines. these are most of the species I've looked into getting.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
as far as the state laws go I'm good. I'm in Minnesota the city laws I'm also fine but i don't know about shipping laws like Spectacled caiman,Cuvier's dwarf caiman,Smooth-fronted caiman,Yacare caiman, and american alligators like yours Fishfreak are all under CITIES: Appendix II but Morelet's crocodile and Nile crocodiles are under CITES: Appendix I and yet I see more Morelet's for sale then Yacare caiman. also I've been told it is illegal to ship Spectacled caiman across state lines. these are most of the species I've looked into getting.
What do you see morlets going for up there?

Personally if I was getting a pet that wants to kill me constantly I would go smaller rather than larger. That's like getting a tiger when you could get a house cat.

If I was you I'd pick through reptile shows until you find a piece that is healthy and not overly expensive. If you can't wait there are some websites that have what you want and that will ship your piece straight to your doorstep.

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
What do you see morlets going for up there?

Personally if I was getting a pet that wants to kill me constantly I would go smaller rather than larger. That's like getting a tiger when you could get a house cat.

If I was you I'd pick through reptile shows until you find a piece that is healthy and not overly expensive. If you can't wait there are some websites that have what you want and that will ship your piece straight to your doorstep.
Personally I'd probably recommend one of the dwarf caimans just due to cage requirements. If you can afford a massive enclosure then I'd say go for an alligator, they have an overall friendlier disposition, and even though they are much larger, are slightly slower and a little easier to handle.

Reactions: Frank Castle

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
Both are fair points with size and disposition and I am in no hurry to get anything. alligators are friendlier and for that reason they tend to do better with other gators of the same size. They seem to one of the most social crocodilian in the wild and dwarf caimans are smaller but much more prone to over stress and fear aggression. Just because it is a smaller animal dose not necessarily mean it needs a smaller cage.Caiman need much more places to hide and much more land space compared to alligators. The reason I was leaning towards a morlets is because they tend to max out at 2-3 meters compared to the dwarf at 1.5-2 and the alligators 3-4 and morlets have less of a fear aggression as in many dwarf caimans and more of a food aggression which is much less stressful on the animal however slightly more risk to me.As far as caging goes for morlets its much more like the alligator for both size and pond size. As far as What do I see morlets going for up here there was a young one a couple expos back and they wanted 850 for it. If I am wrong on any of my facts and opinions please feel free to correct me and speak your mind I am here to learn after all.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
yea, i'll join in. lol., but later. only comment atm, was the last time I saw Morlets a.k.a. Mexican Crocodile for sale they were hatchlings for $500, but a lot of my people didn't trust the guy selling them so they could have been mixed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store