Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Ctemopoma ID Help? (elongated specie)

Discussion in 'Other Monster Fish' started by Vancouver_98683, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Vancouver_98683

Vancouver_98683 MFK Members

Today at 8:54 PM
      Hello all,

Got this guy from a potpourri tank (mixed trade ins). It caught my eyes cuz due to its elongated body. This fish swam like a Channa/Jardini/bichir and always on the move. Never seen anything like it before. Based on a little net searching, It resembles a Kingsleyae specie, but with out the big spot near tail. This 5" fish has dorsal fins that run all along the back and a little spotting on body. It's a little washed out from stress.

Can anybody ID this? Here is a web site for reference.

http://guia.acuamundo.com.mx/articu...ual es cual/peces laberinto cual es cual.html

Ctnen 2 fullbody.jpg

Ctnen 1.jpg

2. COG Commando

COG Commando MFK Members

Marcus
      Mar 6, 2015
      The lack of tail spot is confusing, but you might have a C. petherici, or like you said, a C. kingsleyae. Every other Ctenopoma species I've ever seen has a much more elongated face.

3. krichardson

krichardson MFK Members

Today at 9:37 PM
      Don't remember the latin name but I'm almost certain that that is the spotted climbing perch.I had one a few years ago.

4. JML1997

JML1997 MFK Members

Justin
      Jul 26, 2015
      Looks sweet!

5. Vancouver_98683

Not sure but it was 5 dollars cuz the lfs had no clue other than an guesses of a ctenopoma or anabatoid type gourami. It was so darn unique had to just get even though I'm happy with my fish collection already, lol

6. COG Commando

COG Commando MFK Members

Marcus
      Mar 6, 2015
      Fish by that common name are typically the species Ctenopoma acutirostre. They're much more laterally compressed than this guy is, and they have spots...

Also, what a nice find. Ctenopoma species are really hard to come by in my area, in fact I finally just got a C. acutirostre tonight after searching for months.

7. Vancouver_98683

It's a profile of the Kingsleye, so it is something close to that. Any great guesses or past experiences shared would be greatly appreciated for ID. I'll take a video of the bugger swimming in a few hours or tomorrow once it gets acclimated and full spots are showing. If you look at the spotting on the body is very organized pattern. You would think that it would be a dead giveaway, nonetheless, thanks for the feedback.

8. krichardson

krichardson MFK Members

Today at 9:37 PM
      I stand corrected,I have had this one as well as C. acutirostre which are also sold as leopard ctenopoma in some stores here.....I pulled out one of my old books and came up with the name Anabas testudineus.

9. Vancouver_98683

Thanks Krichardson ! This may be it! Even the oranges halo around the pupil is down to the tee. Very very close as I had a gut feeling this species was african, and more SE. The pic references made me think Ctenopoma. So, glad too as it will cater to my SE Asia them on my 155 gal. , various dat species, clown loaches, Albino red eye Gian Gouramy, and a few more. Here is some info I copy and pasted:

Title:
      Climbing Perch, (Anabas testudineus), [Anabantidae], Anabantoidei, Perciformes, gouramies
      This labyrinth fish can crawl up to 200 meters across moist land using its pectoral fins and gill covers to escape deteriorating water conditions. An air breathing organ near the gills enables it to stay alive for hours out of the water. This fish is native to Southeast Asia.

Kingdom: Animalia

10. Vancouver_98683

Here is the photo of the Anabas testudineus.

@ Krichardson _ did you ever have this specie? Temperament, experiences, etc....?

Krichardson ID.jpg