Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Curing velvet with pimafix?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by HypeMan808, Apr 7, 2010.

1. HypeMan808

HypeMan808 MFK Members

Feb 14, 2015
      My Pinoy Angelfish has Velvet Disease!! :nilly:
      Is it possible to cure my Pinoy Angelfish with Pimafix?
      That's all I have right now and I want to start taking care of it immidiately.

I know pimafix cures fungal and from what I heard Velvet is a fungus.

So much for being excited and not quarentining my fishes before adding them to my main tank.. I introduced a disease to my once health angels. :irked:

2. alexmuw

alexmuw Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
      Unfortunately, Velvet is a PARASITIC infection, not fungal infection. PimaFix will do nothing, except waste your money.

It's similar to ich; thus any treatment for ich will usually also work for velvet.

Taken from a site:

Velvet or Rust
      Symptoms: Clamped fins, respiratory distress (breathing hard), yellow to light brown "dust" on body.

This disease has the appearance of a golden or brownish dust over the fins and body. The fish may show signs of irritation, like glancing off aquarium decor, shortage of breath (fish-wise), and clamping of the fins. The gills are usually the first thing affected. Velvet affects different species in different ways. Danios seem to be the most susceptible, but often show no discomfort. This disease is highly contagious and fatal.
      The best treatment is with copper at 0.2 mg per liter (0.2 ppm) to be repeated once in a few days if necessary. Acriflavine (trypaflavine) may be used instead at 0.2% solution (1 ml per liter). As acriflavine can possibly sterilize fish and copper can lead to poisoning, the water should be gradually changed after a cure has been effected.

Make sure it is Velvet before starting treament; maybe you have fungus and not velvet.

Good luck !!!! :headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

3. HypeMan808

HypeMan808 MFK Members

Feb 14, 2015
      My fishes looks to have dust on their body.
      And excreted this whitish colored film all over it's body and fins.
      Some has red streaks on outer fins and body.
      Gasping for air and loss of appitite.
      She doesn't open her fins anymore but keeps them closed.
      (I think that's clamping..)

I'll post a pic tomo. I'll keep the light off anyways up until I take the pic then it's going off again.

4. Cichlaholics Anonymous

Apr 27, 2015
      pimafix will not cure velvet, try some real meds

5. HypeMan808

HypeMan808 MFK Members

Feb 14, 2015
      Alright,
      Going to the lfs today...

And sorry for the delay on pics.
      Haven't really been home enough to take some.