customizing tanks?

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I'm curious if you can buy panels for the end pieces and the bottom of an aquarium to make a bigger foot print. I'd like to get into keeping rays but my standard 125 won't be enough. I'd like to switch out the 2 side panels and the bottom panel to have a 36 inch width instead of an 18 inch width. is it possible? or will it be just as expensive to set up an indoor pond?

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Essentially, by removing the ends and bottom, you are building a new tank from scratch and don't forget the top and bottom framing. In my opinion, glass thickness becomes the issue when increasing tank size from a previously engineered tank. The glass used in a 125, often, is thinner than that of a 220/240. Many times the bottom glass is tempered, making the cost for that particular panel higher.
It seems to me, building a home for the special fish you want to keep makes more sense...and you are able to keep the integrity of tank you have.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
It's possible, thickness of glass panels is determined by the depth, so of this remains the same, your glass thickness should remain the same. For the amount of work involved, and the risk of breaking a panel I'd rather get a new tank.

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I wouldn't mind buying a second hand tank but theres never any 200+ gallon tanks up here in Maine, I can't even go to a store and buy one here, the largest size anyone carries is a 125

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I've looked into ordering a large tank buy that costs thousands, I'm a fish keeper on a budget hahah

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
so the additional glass will be around $900, I get a 6x4ft piece for $450. look for a used aquarium and take the glass from that

Reactions: boldtogether
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store