cycling a new tank

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
What I have tried and it worked for me is mixing some amount of water from my other established tanks in the new one. this has shown results in a matter of few days, actually less than a week.

My attempts with the beneficial bacteria products, have been in vain, just lost money there. Didn't find it useful in my case.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
No offence meant, old water is just that, old water. The bacteria involved with cycling a tank live on a surface, not in the water. this why we use porous bio media. more surface area to cultivate them. again not meaning to offend or call any one out, just a FYI that old fish water not do anything.

smokeythebair

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
PA
Filter media from another tank and some water. I also wait about two weeks before wc. Never had ammonia and it didn't cycle.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
No offence meant, old water is just that, old water. The bacteria involved with cycling a tank live on a surface, not in the water. this why we use porous bio media. more surface area to cultivate them. again not meaning to offend or call any one out, just a FYI that old fish water not do anything.
pops - No offence taken :) we are discussing about experiences of what has worked in speeding up cycling and this had worked and the other techniques didn't do anything substancial.

And of course, porus bio media, rings, bio balls etc is where bacteria colonise, but it takes few weeks for it. By introducing the water from the other established tanks, the bacteria colonizing can be faster, at least my experience.

Filter media from another tank and some water. I also wait about two weeks before wc. Never had ammonia and it didn't cycle.
Thanks!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
With mo established media on hand i gp for tetra safestart. Product never failed me.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
to start from scratch I am lazy, bagged raw shelled jumbo shrimp, turn the filters on and walk away. change 50 percent water once a week, by 6 weeks everything is starting to click by week 8 time to remove the shrimp change the water and add fish.
haha this being lazy? 2 months, sheesh.

i just pull media from one of my filters, put it in the new filter, start adding fish the next day. I've set up every single tank but my very first tank like this.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
patience, its a virtue. one a am severely lacking in as I get older unless needed. and to cycle with nothing else, it is needed. :)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
if i don't have seeded filters, i just use bottle bacteria; I've done this for even sensitive species like dwarf pea puffers, though admittedly it's not ideal, since you have to subject the fish to ammonia of around 0.5ppm for it to establish, which is how the bottled bacteria works.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ive done it with small clown loaches as well. In a pinch its a great option

Reactions: convict360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store