Dark coloring in Senegal?

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Hey guys, I've been raising this little Senegal and have noticed some people with very dark almost black colored fishies, so I was wondering, is it possible to feed hem a certain food or water conditions to make them appear this way?image.jpeg

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I doubt this color is due to certain food. This is genetics because i remember this picture and discussion surrounding it. Dr.B Dr.B contributed to it. :)

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Awe, bummer. Have any clue where I could possibly order a beauty like that? H HumanBean

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
The main reason is the black substrate. Almost all senegals will get dark (some really dark, others not as dark), with some green/yellowish pigments (green spots on its head).

Reactions: Galasca

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Dr.B Dr.B Oh, perfect! Just so happened I bought black substrate today?

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
this is actually my senegal :)

I used to have him on tan/brown gravel and he seemed just as dark to me as he does on black sand now. However, the yellow speckling along his midline became much more pronounced. Honestly I never noticed it until I got the black sand.

As far as good goes, he generally eats live feeders, occasionally bloodworms, mysis shrimp and he will eat the pellets I give the rest of the fish, since they are in a community tank. This is tetra color tropical granules.

I just started working at the pet shop where I got this particular senegal and set up a display tank (they know me so well there that they gave me my own display tank on the second day) in hopes of drawing more attention to polypterus. I used black sand and added two senegal bichir, one that was a lighter color, and another that was darker. I'd like to see how they look when they are full size and see if they stay darker and lighter.

I picked my original senegal at random about 3 years ago, mostly just chose the healthiest looking one and I am very happy with him. He is still my favorite out of all my polypterus (i have 5). He's just so beautiful, I'm glad others like him as well! ❤

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
this is actually my senegal :)

I used to have him on tan/brown gravel and he seemed just as dark to me as he does on black sand now. However, the yellow speckling along his midline became much more pronounced. Honestly I never noticed it until I got the black sand.

As far as good goes, he generally eats live feeders, occasionally bloodworms, mysis shrimp and he will eat the pellets I give the rest of the fish, since they are in a community tank. This is tetra color tropical granules.

I just started working at the pet shop where I got this particular senegal and set up a display tank (they know me so well there that they gave me my own display tank on the second day) in hopes of drawing more attention to polypterus. I used black sand and added two senegal bichir, one that was a lighter color, and another that was darker. I'd like to see how they look when they are full size and see if they stay darker and lighter.

I picked my original senegal at random about 3 years ago, mostly just chose the healthiest looking one and I am very happy with him. He is still my favorite out of all my polypterus (i have 5). He's just so beautiful, I'm glad others like him as well! ❤
What a great specimen you have! After about a week of having my Senegal on the black sand I've noticed some yellow patches along his center as well as drastic darkening. I really hope I'm lucky enough to have mine turn out as yours did!

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
How big is he? And feel free to add photos! Half the reason I come on here is to see photos ❤

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store