Death desaster and maybe Internal parasites in my feeders?

zapatower

Plecostomus
MFK Member
I mixed 145 ml of formalin, that is shown in the picture with 0,21 gr of green malachite in a dose for treat a tank of 850 liters, i will repeat again 48 hours after. Before that treatment, I lost my discus cichlid and a dozen of feeders, after the first treatment, I don´t understand it, because I was far away of my tank during the last week for job. Can someone give me an advice?
Finally, I found a feeder "poecilid" with an strange red corpuscles close stomach, specifically in the epiaxial muscularity area, What kind of the parasite are these ones? if they are. Anyway, It have ethical sacrified by me, obviously, they will be eaten for my future stingrays.
Thank you.

DSC_0004[1].JPG

DSC_0007[1].JPG

DSC_0010[1].JPG

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sorry if this sounds insensitive, but......
This thread is a good example of why feeder fish are not a good idea.
All it takes is for 1 to be a carrier of a pathogen, at one time, and an epidemic is a possibility.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The above poster is right, I would just get a new batch of feeders and not waste money on solving this issue. Better yet switch to a pellet. make sure to thoroughly wash the aquarium out afterwards, let sit dry for a week or so.

zapatower

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Could I try to raise the temperature about 28°C or more?. I don't have heater yet, but could be the last solution. The temperature varies between 25,8 and 26,9°C. What do you think?

JDempsey1980

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
If you must use feeders (l make that statement very reluctantly), get a quarantine tank setup and breed your own. Store bought feeders are always a bad idea.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
...............................................................................What kind of the parasite are these ones? if they are. Anyway, It have ethical sacrified by me, obviously, they will be eaten for my future stingrays.
Thank you.
.................................................It have ethical sacrified by me, obviously, they will be eaten for my future stingrays.
WHY would you want to give feeders with unknown pathogens to, any fish, especially stingrays?
Is there a guarantee that freezing kills every risk.? Fish can have more than one fatal disease at the same time.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If the disease is bacterial, raising the temp could exacerbate the problem because although warmer temps are good for parasites like ich, they can possibly make bacteria grow exponentially.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store