Debunked: CO2-Myth --- See tanks without carbon dioxide fertilization

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
image.jpeg
Sorry for the glare...This is my daughters undergravel filtered tank, lit with LEDs and almost never fertilized but I prune the Swords weekly and throw horn wort annacaris and wisteria out as well you can barely see her pink castle. (thank goodness)

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
The dead horse keeps on giving.

My thread was deliberately challenging to inspire discussion. I'm glad it's still alive(and open).
Thanks for your thoughts and experiences.
No no thank you one of my more enjoyed threads

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
I've followed this thread for a while. While I completely agree that Co2 is not required in most set ups, I also think it's ridiculous to label it as a "marketing scheme". Most hobbyists don't need Co2, because they choose not to run the lighting that requires it. Most of us who run "high tech", simply cannot deny that Co2 is almost always the limiting factor in growth. It's relatively easy to dial in lighting and ferts, however it's much more complex when dealing with Co2. This is why many people in the planted tank hobby give up early. They set up a planted tank with high lighting, dose ferts and quickly turn their tanks in to algae farms. Once Co2 is correctly balanced/injected, plant health, vitality, color and growth explodes beyond compare.

I too, have kept both high tech and low tech planted tanks. I can say that without comparison, Co2 makes a world of difference. After taking a break from planted tanks, I recently set up the 20G pictured below. The tank hasn't even been running for 3 months. However, Co2 has allowed me to create this in a very short time. In addition, I'm able to grow plants that usually fail to thrive in non-Co2 set ups. Take a look at the most beautiful planted tanks on the Internet, you'll find that 99% of them all inject Co2. That said, I think it's pretty damn obvious that it has monumental benefits in regards to aquatic plants.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
I just discovered this Thread (yeah, I know, it's been a while since my last visit...)

Stupidest thread in history. I cannot believe what I just read in the OP... Sure, fine, one can have a planted tank w.out CO2...just concentrate on growing Anubia, J. Fern, J. Moss, Swords and Crypts. Easy. How does that make the use of CO2 a myth?? I have kept planted tanks for a couple years now, with varying success...I can honestly say that I have not had more success, with more of a variety of plants and less algal issues, than I have since turning to CO2.

Ever tried growing Ludwigia species under low light and no gas?? What about HC...Riccia? ...the list is endless.

Here's an idea, why don't we all turn our CO2 systems off and just grow Anubia...that should make for an interesting and diverse hobby, shouldn't it?? I would like to direct attention to the pic of the 220 gal on page one...nutrient/CO2 defficiency, much?? Everything is YELLOW!

CO2 might not be the be all and end all of planted tanks, one can have a lovely looking setup without it, but to call it a marketing myth is just preposterous.
Exactly right.

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
I run high out put t5s...I was just pointing out that decomposing organic material makes co2 at a level I don't need to monitor and keeps up with the rest of my elements. My t5 tank gets high light and fert.... It took 2 months for the material to start to decay but since then every thing balanced out much more maintenance free. I'm still using co2 just naturally... This style of co2 generation has a set life span though and then tapers off after years though ( I'm in the middle of tearing them down for bigger setups or I'd post them). Making co2 once again relevant. And I agree about difficult species enjoying it as they out compete each other, but in species only tanks it's once again debatable ( that word didn't feel right) as it's easy to balance minimums again....

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
I run high out put t5s...I was just pointing out that decomposing organic material makes co2 at a level I don't need to monitor and keeps up with the rest of my elements. My t5 tank gets high light and fert.... It took 2 months for the material to start to decay but since then every thing balanced out much more maintenance free. I'm still using co2 just naturally... This style of co2 generation has a set life span though and then tapers off after years though ( I'm in the middle of tearing them down for bigger setups or I'd post them). Making co2 once again relevant. And I agree about difficult species enjoying it as they out compete each other, but in species only tanks it's once again debatable ( that word didn't feel right) as it's easy to balance minimums again....
Definitely wasn't taking a shot against your approach. I was directing my response towards the OP's initial statement(s). Gorgeous planted tanks are certainly attainable without supplementing Co2. However, Co2 is a significant and completely necessary factor for many people in the hobby. Saying it's a "marketing scheme" is humorous.

Reactions: AlG

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
And sorry if I'm wrong but I don't see demanding plats in that tank (it's beautiful by the way)...Dwarf baby tears has been the only one I've had trouble keeping with other plants with out co2

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
Definitely wasn't taking a shot against your approach. I was directing my response towards the OP's initial statement(s). Gorgeous planted tanks are certainly attainable without supplementing Co2. However, Co2 is a significant and completely necessary factor for many people in the hobby. Saying it's a "marketing scheme" is humorous.
Yeah... poor Takashi Amano

Reactions: Manu8__too

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
And sorry if I'm wrong but I don't see demanding plats in that tank (it's beautiful by the way)...Dwarf baby tears has been the only one I've had trouble keeping with other plants with out co2
Thanks for the compliment. The majority of plants in this tank aren't considered "highly difficult" to keep. However, the colors and density are more what I'm referring to. Example: The L. Glandulosa seen in the first picture didn't achieve its vibrant red until I increased my Co2, therefore confirming its need for more carbon. Although Ludwigia is relatively easy to keep/grow, it shows better coloration (specifically reds) in Co2 saturated tanks. I'm having to chop it and propagate it every week or two as a result of its rapid growth.

The second example is the S. Repens. In low tech/low light it has the propensity to grow tall, narrow and thin stems. In high Co2 set ups, it grows very low, thick and compact, almost like a bush. Again, high Co2 is what allows it to grow so lush.

Reactions: AlG
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store