Desert agama making noises?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
He’s been making this noise while posturing whenever I get close. I’m pretty sure it’s an aggressive/territorial thing. He doesn’t seem sick at all and I just had him at the vet for a checkup a couple months ago
What do you guys think?

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Bit odd, as I'm not aware of any vocalisations made by Trapelus species resembling the noises yours is making; then again I know little about them in general, other than perhaps basic care and whatnot. The animal in question doesn't seem to be in significant respiratory distress, but it's difficult to tell; I have noted similar noises from freshly-imported lizards and larger colubrids with RIs, but it was almost always accompanied by some other noise; whether it be rasping, crackling, whistling, gurgling, etc. Convulsions; runny discharge from mouth, eyes, or nose; and vomiting are things I've frequently noted in fresh imports with serious RIs that've "coughed", but you note nothing of the sort. Said "coughing" was more of a dry vomit-type action as well. My tegu'll sometimes make a snorting/coughing noise whenever she goes for a drink or a swim, to clear water from her nose, but I doubt that's what's happening here.
Though it very well could be a territorial threat display, it's not what I'd expect from a desert agamid species; but there's no telling what's typical of them in a captive environment. Supposedly most Trapelus are capable of hissing, but I haven't been able to find anything about abrupt noises similar to the ones yours is making. I'd still probably consult with a vet just in case; most that I've worked with would accept e-mails and/or phone calls about simple inquiries, I'd probably go that route if your vet allows.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Bit odd, as I'm not aware of any vocalisations made by Trapelus species resembling the noises yours is making; then again I know little about them in general, other than perhaps basic care and whatnot. The animal in question doesn't seem to be in significant respiratory distress, but it's difficult to tell; I have noted similar noises from freshly-imported lizards and larger colubrids with RIs, but it was almost always accompanied by some other noise; whether it be rasping, crackling, whistling, gurgling, etc. Convulsions; runny discharge from mouth, eyes, or nose; and vomiting are things I've frequently noted in fresh imports with serious RIs that've "coughed", but you note nothing of the sort. Said "coughing" was more of a dry vomit-type action as well. My tegu'll sometimes make a snorting/coughing noise whenever she goes for a drink or a swim, to clear water from her nose, but I doubt that's what's happening here.
Though it very well could be a territorial threat display, it's not what I'd expect from a desert agamid species; but there's no telling what's typical of them in a captive environment. Supposedly most Trapelus are capable of hissing, but I haven't been able to find anything about abrupt noises similar to the ones yours is making. I'd still probably consult with a vet just in case; most that I've worked with would accept e-mails and/or phone calls about simple inquiries, I'd probably go that route if your vet allows.
I’m actually going to put a camera focused on the cage and see if he does this when I’m not around. I’ve tried to sneak out to the garage to see what he’s doing, but it doesn’t work. Lol
As soon as I come out he stops what he’s doing and runs to the front of the cage biting at the glass and making this noise and expanding his blue beard
I think I will contact the vet as well
Thanks!

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
So it looks like he makes this noise when he’s hungry. I’ve noticed he stops for a couple days after eating but if I don’t feed him for a bit he starts doing this around day 3.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store