Desperate please help possible parasites, Rams, rasboras,shrimp, plants

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Hey guys, please help me out.

My fish are little so I know this can take its toll fast.

It's my 30 gallon, been doing this a over 25 years and only had inch a couple times and 1or 2 parasite cases, now I've only got 2 tanks, my 125 and this 30.

It's been set up for 4-5months.

5 little Bolivian Rams from reputable source, 10 tiny espei rasboras from great source. Some amono shrimp and cherry shrimp. Some assassin snails. Eco complete, live plants, current lighting. Aqua clear 75 I think it was.

The shrimp breed like crazy, everything super feisty and up till now, would eat anything.

I feed only high quality varied diet.

Always test water.

Nothing added to this tank for months.

No live food.

Ph around 7.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate maybe 10
Ammonia 0

Temps 78

Weekly water changes now and then small 15 per cents in between.

One ram I noticed started to get one cloudy eye, along with a white cloudiness around the same side of his face, did not look like fuzz.
Stomach more sunken than the others.
Begs for food, feisty, but spits the food back out, clear stringy crap.

Pulled him to a 6 gallon hospital tank, 79 degrees and power head bare bottom. Added a little Melafix .

That's been 2 days, he's not doing good. Other eye now cloudy.

The other 4 Rams are feisty as hell. Begging for food, look plump and overall healthy, but now starting to spit the food out, clear stringy crap, same with most the rasboras.

I've read their are some good things that won't hurt the shrimp.

I would love to be able to just treat the main tank.
Not try to get them all in hospital tanks.
Also I read it can be in the tank too, not just the fish.

Anyways, sorry it's been so long since I've been on here, been crazy busy, deaths in the family and just a crap last year.
I'm insisting on this being a good year
Added a pic of the 125 for fun.

Love you all, thanks for any help.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Hey guys can anyone check this out please. I'm only rushing because I think I might still have a good chance if I start now.

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
turn up temps, slowly, put in UV, add salt (aquarium salt per instructions). stop feeding, get temp to 82-83, hold for a day or two, start water changes, 10-20% 2-3x a day, lower temps back down slowly. Resume feeding at day two of water changes, feed 1/4 of usual and slowly work back up to full feeding holding normal schedule while slowly lowering back temps over a few days. Give or take should take a week or 2. Good luck

Make sure your water changes are from conditioned water, temp, ph should match tank before adding the new water. Less water, more changes to get out salt. don't go too fast you want to keep the salt in the tank at the high temp for at least 24-72 hours, base this on how the fish are responding.

(for uv amazon overnite or lfs, should still be able to get over night for at least another hour on most the in tank uv units. Cheap unit should be fine since your only using short term. on a small tank)

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I would treat the main tank with prazi/metro. If your injured fish isn't getting picked on, i would return to main tank and increase water changes until resolved.....

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
I would treat the main tank with prazi/metro. If your injured fish isn't getting picked on, i would return to main tank and increase water changes until resolved.....
Without UV I wouldn't put back in main tank, risk 5 dead vs 1. UV destroys most infectious organisms reproductive cycle, since it is only applied to water pumped through the UV filter it won't hurt the fish/shrimp. Good luck.

Note don't medicate if you use UV, since it will also effect good bacteria in the water column, won't hurt the good bacteria in the filter media though, but if you medicate you will probably kill ur good bacteria and UV is hard on a cycle.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
thanks for the info guys. I just got off the phone with underwarer depot in LA and they said sea chems paragaurd works for them with shrimp as well not being harmed.

Any thoughts?

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
My LFS is the best in kern county, I dont know if they have paraguard though. Closed today, but they are trying to help too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store