Desperate please help possible parasites, Rams, rasboras,shrimp, plants

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
turn up temps, slowly, put in UV, add salt (aquarium salt per instructions). stop feeding, get temp to 82-83, hold for a day or two, start water changes, 10-20% 2-3x a day, lower temps back down slowly. Resume feeding at day two of water changes, feed 1/4 of usual and slowly work back up to full feeding holding normal schedule while slowly lowering back temps over a few days. Give or take should take a week or 2. Good luck

Make sure your water changes are from conditioned water, temp, ph should match tank before adding the new water. Less water, more changes to get out salt. don't go too fast you want to keep the salt in the tank at the high temp for at least 24-72 hours, base this on how the fish are responding.

(for uv amazon overnite or lfs, should still be able to get over night for at least another hour on most the in tank uv units. Cheap unit should be fine since your only using short term. on a small tank)
any links how to do uv on the cheap?
If I decide to try it.

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
just look at wattage, to flow rate, i don't now the ideal off hand but it can be googled for pretty easily

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
just look at wattage, to flow rate, i don't now the ideal off hand but it can be googled for pretty easily
Thanks.....ok couple more things, i could leave everything in the main tank, raise the temps, and add epson or aquarium salt???

Or i can try to catch the shrimp to the hospital tank, and use what med in the main tank? Also, when can the shrimp go back in?

Im gratefull for thr help.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Thanks.....ok couple more things, i could leave everything in the main tank, raise the temps, and add epson or aquarium salt???

Or i can try to catch the shrimp to the hospital tank, and use what med in the main tank? Also, when can the shrimp go back in?

I believe that most plants aren't salt tolerable. There are exceptions but not often.

As for the shrimp-
What meds do you plan to use? Shrimp are intolerant of copper and many heavy metals.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Depends on the plant, java fern, vallisneria, anubius and some others will tolerate a low or even brackish salinity, but many other plants won't.
Some that do, such as vallisneria may melt down though, but can return.
Here's duanes duanes post on the subject.

Aquanero Aquanero

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california

I see you said aquarium salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store