Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

Determining the sex of a black ghost knife...

Discussion in 'Knifefish' started by Munroser, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Munroser

Munroser MFK Members

Dec 4, 2009
      I always took for granted that our BGK was a male because it is the most powerful fish in the tank and moves like the king, but after reading various threads, I am realizing that HE may be a SHE. My GK is approximately 16 years of age, but he/she is only about 12" or 13" long. He/she is in a 75 gal. community tank...with only a few smaller normal fish (Betta, Cory, gold fish, tetra, some barbs, some black skirts etc.) as tank mates.

I think that it is interesting when we (hmmm..."I"...:() put human traits on my fish. For example, our BGK is really gentle and keeps his/her cave really clean...gives it a sweep a couple of times every day etc. and loves to snuggle in the palm of my hand or twirl around in a vertical position while in my fingers form a cave pointing down.

(sorry if there is a whole thread about this there that I have missed, just please direct me to it)

2. Toby_H

Toby_H MFK Members

Toby_H
      Sep 18, 2011
      There is no known way to tell the differences in genders of BGK’s….

There are no known traits to be more likely in one gender than the other…

Although I read all the time BGK’s get 24”… I’ve seen several in the 12” range… but have never seen one much larger…

I have a 5 year old which has lived it’s live in a 300 gal… it’s 12~13”…

I’ve also read that they can change gender if need be… although I’m not sure how people know that seeing we do not know how to tell the difference in males & females nor do we know how they spawn…

3. dark_knights_99

dark_knights_99 MFK Members

Oct 29, 2012
      they say that it can be determined on the bgk face and body. the male has a horselike face, and the female is thicker than the male. but im not sure about it. better if someone has a pics of the face of the female and male bgk and theier body thickness.

4. Munroser

Munroser MFK Members

Dec 4, 2009
      Okay, thanks to some pictures that Red Devil put out, I realized that my GK has no white stripe down his or her back and that it might have something to do with the sex of the GK. What do you think? I don't know how to post pictures but I do have a picture of "MAC" ... "yes, MAC the Knife"... newly named after our thread partner Malawi Mac...in my personal gallery. You will also see my TSN.

5. moonchild1970

moonchild1970 BICHIR BABE

Jul 2, 2014
      I'm real curious to know if there is any way to tell too. :D

6. Aqua Sanctuary

Aqua Sanctuary MFK Members

Nov 9, 2010
      I may be wrong but was told that if the line along the back was thick its a male and if its a skinny line its female. But I cant be positive that is correct.

7. johnny_1993

johnny_1993 MFK Members

Aug 28, 2008
      i have a 35cm bgk that looks like a horse :)

8. fourty2

fourty2 MFK Members

Oct 21, 2008
    9. Munroser

Munroser MFK Members

Dec 4, 2009
      Thanks everyone...it looks like my boy is actually a girl. :D So, having said that, she is 16 years old and she finally gets a name "Mac" (like two days ago ) and then I find out she is a girl... :headbang2... but I am not going to change it. She'll be like a boy named Sue and hopefully she will live for at least another decade.
      Here's what I learned from the article that fourty2 put forward and it works with the stuff that Aqua Sanctuary had to say:
      1. She has very tiny eyes. (so tiny I am always amazed at how tiny they
      are) Allegedly the female's eyes are tiny and are opaque while the male's are a little bit larger and are black. Her eyes are so small that they are like dots.
      2. Her eyes are situated forward on her head.
      3. Her head is not very broad.
      4. She has no stripe on her spine.

Moonchild, does this help you at all?

10. dragonfish

dragonfish MFK Members

Bite me
      Jul 30, 2014
      So going off that info mine is male.