diy bead filter using drum?

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
So sometime in the future i am planning to build a greenhouse. In that greenhouse i want to have a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank and i have seen this done on koi forums, but i could not find any good documentation on it. What i want to do is take a 15 or 30 gallon blue plastic drum and mount it on its side and fill it with k1 micro and then use a pool filter valve to make it backflushable. I want to use it with an advantage es1500 pump and a praher multiport valve. I have heard that the praher valves create the least head pressure, or restriction. I also want to use a blower. I have seen this done before, but how exactly is it done? I found a link to one set of instructions, but the website was down and the link was from 2006.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Its fairly easy to mount bulkhead fitting inside them, if you want a sealed drum. I have a drum as a water storage changer. It is holding about 10psi. The bottom ballooned out a bit so it rocks a little.
The 3/4" threaded caps can be used with a rubber O ring and a pipe nipple against it. The thin plastic does not seal well with pressure on it.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Its fairly easy to mount bulkhead fitting inside them, if you want a sealed drum. I have a drum as a water storage changer. It is holding about 10psi. The bottom ballooned out a bit so it rocks a little.
The 3/4" threaded caps can be used with a rubber O ring and a pipe nipple against it. The thin plastic does not seal well with pressure on it.
I am not planning on having it under much pressure. I just mean pressurized because it will not have an open top and it will be closed off and will not be gravity returned because it will keep the water pressurized in the filtration process. I found a link to directions on koiphen, but the website was down so i accessed it through web.archive.org. http://web.archive.org/web/20060620090227/http://home.netcom.com/~larry_l/diy_bead.htm. I found this photo
and that is the way i would like mine to be with pool filter valves for backflushing. I guess i could add pool filter valves to the archived design that i linked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store