DIY filtration

Fishysocks2013

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2016
Hello all,
I apologize as I am sure if I searched long enoughi would be able to find this information, but I don't have much time to do research. I am wanting to get back into fish keeping, and I would like to make my filtration system myself. I want to make a canister setup. I am not sure about the exact size of the tank I am getting, or the fish I will be keeping, but I have enough of an idea to start gettiny plans ready for this project. I want my tank to be between 100 and 150 gallons, and I would like to flow at least five times the contents of the tank per hour. So, around ,5-700 gpm. The setup must be relatively quiet, and I would like to make it easy enough to perform maintenance and cleaning without much difficulty. I am a mechanic by trade, so I'm sure I can pull it off, but I'd just like some insight from those who have done this themselves. Any links to write ups would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
For that flow rate and maintenance goal you should be targeting a DIY sump in my opinion. They can be silent, cheap and handle flow rates as you describe rather easily. DIY canisters have a tendency to leak if not done just right. I also (my personal belief) feel that they are harder to clean than a sump.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I'm open to this idea. Do you know of any links with write ups on this?
I'm on mobile at the moment (vacation week) so I don't have any handy. The options are endless. It all comes down to what you want your sump to do. Some are so simple it's just a used CL tank with no baffles or anythinganything fancy. Just socks, media and submerged pump.

Fishysocks2013

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2016
I'm on mobile at the moment (vacation week) so I don't have any handy. The options are endless. It all comes down to what you want your sump to do. Some are so simple it's just a used CL tank with no baffles or anythinganything fancy. Just socks, media and submerged pump.
do you happen to be back from vacation? i got my tank and i am trying to get everything set up.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I am back tomorrow. Online though. Can you answer some questions for us? If you can answer these we can suggest a great design. There are many approaches one can take when setting up a sump.

-what size tank did you get?
-glass or acrylic?
-is there overflow towers inside the tank?
-have you finalized the turn over rate (GPH) you want?
-for media are you trying to do a moving bed, submerged or trickle?
-do you want filter socks or to use filter floss like pillow stuffing or another type of mechanical?
-what are the interior dimensions of your stand?

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
If you just search "sump" you will find hundreds upon hundreds of results. Most large tanks and saltwater tanks that I have seen use a sump so there are endless resources and write ups here and elsewhere online.

Fishysocks2013

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2016
Update. Just found a fx5 and got it for a killer deal, I'm happy with this filtration for now, until my fish grow larger. Now I just need to decide what exact setup I want when it comes to fish plants and substrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store