DIY ray tank filter upgrade

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
So it all started with my filter crashing and loosing a couple of my prized rays...

Quick overview:
2 trash cans plumbed together.
Can 1 held a filter pad above a moving filter bed (K1).
Can 2 houses the heater and return pump.
The return pump pushed all water through a moving media pond filter with built in UV.

What I did not expect, was my air stones in the moving media to shift to one side of the can creating a huge dead spot...

So after rethinking the setup I decided to go with a very similar design but using larger 2 inch connecting tubes to increase flow to the return pump side and also incorporating filter socks for better mechanical filtration.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Looks very good I would be super pissed if those leaked I hear garbage bags are notorious to leak compared to barrels.

Keep an eye out and how big is the tank?

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
...that is why I used silicone on the bulkheads.

Have to say...
I'M A BELIVER!!!

Filter socks are amazing!!!

My tank has been cloudy ever since the filter crashed. The water parameters were good but there were so many particle finds that the tanks looked cloudy all the time.

One day with Filter socks at 400 microns and the tanks are crystal clear!!!IMG_20160521_104047978.jpg IMG_20160521_104057395.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
very nice, Now you need some blue backgrounds so the fish show better

Congrats on the nice work and after benefits

Reactions: scott s

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
I just did a build similar to this for my pond, used same trash cans. I used uniseals instead of bulkheads for the flexibility. I have mine plumbed into a 5gal bucket on top of the first can. That is my prefilter, it has the socks. That trickles down into the bio chamber, and 2nd barrel is heat exchanger before returning to pond. Yours looks pretty good man.

Reactions: scott s
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store