Diy root tabs

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Scary,don't kill your stock
Scary? Not at all. They just need to be used correctly. I use DIY Osmocote root tabs in my planted tank with huge success, as do thousands of people in the planted tank hobby. The key is starting slow, and making sure that the tabs are buried deep within the substrate. Most of us use Osmocote Plus, because it contains a nice mix of both macros/micros. The only issue people run in to with these is that they either start with too many, or don't burry them very deep. O+ contains Ammoniacal Nitrogen which can cause ammonia spikes if overused/misused.

Although they're super easy to make, I just buy the 100ct bags on eBay for $7 (free shipping). They last a long time and are far more nutrient dense then the ones you buy in stores. There are a ton of DIY videos on these via YouTube.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
^^^ I do the same thing!!! I have around 2,000 Osmocote+ Root Tabs made up, but I have the big 4.5lb old Osmocote+ w/ calcium that's still full, and I have around 1,000 empty capsules in stock so I'm good for a long time!!!

Now what's "scary" about making your own root tabs?!?! Lots of people make their own root tabs, not just with Osmocote+, I make multiple different types of root tabs because it makes it easy to target any sort of deficiency in a plant. I even have types I've made for setting up a new tank, for instance I make csm+b tabs, calcium tabs, powdered red clay tabs for iron; I use them to flood the tank with nutrients because I mainly use Flourite substrate that has a high CEC capacity so by flooding the tank with nutrients it allows the flourite to soak up lots of nutrients then I'll start planting after a week of setting up the tank.

So no, DIY root tabs are in no way scary... If you do your homework before hand it makes DIY root tabs easy to make, and easy to use.

Will posey

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
^^^ I do the same thing!!! I have around 2,000 Osmocote+ Root Tabs made up, but I have the big 4.5lb old Osmocote+ w/ calcium that's still full, and I have around 1,000 empty capsules in stock so I'm good for a long time!!!

Now what's "scary" about making your own root tabs?!?! Lots of people make their own root tabs, not just with Osmocote+, I make multiple different types of root tabs because it makes it easy to target any sort of deficiency in a plant. I even have types I've made for setting up a new tank, for instance I make csm+b tabs, calcium tabs, powdered red clay tabs for iron; I use them to flood the tank with nutrients because I mainly use Flourite substrate that has a high CEC capacity so by flooding the tank with nutrients it allows the flourite to soak up lots of nutrients then I'll start planting after a week of setting up the tank.

So no, DIY root tabs are in no way scary... If you do your homework before hand it makes DIY root tabs easy to make, and easy to use.
Where do you get all the stuff to make these

Will posey

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016

Where do you get all the stuff to make these

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Well I get the empty capsules from e-b-a-y , and I found the original osmocote plus 15-9-12 from someone on e-b-a-y back in 2014. Original osmocote plus 15-9-12 is hard to find now because Scott's who was the original company sold the formula to a company in Israel, and the new company still makes the same formula, but without calcium.

So most people are now using the new companies brand - Osmocote Plus Indoor/Outdoor Smart Release Plant Food

It's the exact same formula as before, but it no longer has calcium...

You can find the new formula at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.... It cost around $10 for 2lbs, or $25 for 8lbs

I get my empty capsules from -e-b-a-y - I get 1,000 empty capsules for $10 w/ free shipping in the U.S.

Reactions: Will posey

Will posey

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Well I get the empty capsules from e-b-a-y , and I found the original osmocote plus 15-9-12 from someone on e-b-a-y back in 2014. Original osmocote plus 15-9-12 is hard to find now because Scott's who was the original company sold the formula to a company in Israel, and the new company still makes the same formula, but without calcium.

So most people are now using the new companies brand - Osmocote Plus Indoor/Outdoor Smart Release Plant Food

It's the exact same formula as before, but it no longer has calcium...

You can find the new formula at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.... It cost around $10 for 2lbs, or $25 for 8lbs

I get my empty capsules from -e-b-a-y - I get 1,000 empty capsules for $10 w/ free shipping in the U.S.
How good is this osmocote plus with iron do i need to make separate iron tabs or will the osmocote give out enough

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Osmocote Plus has iron in it, basically Osmocote Plus has all 3 macro nutrients, and a good amount of micro nutrients like boron/iron/manganese etc.... It's an all in one fertilizer that's made for gardens and indoor plants, but it works very well for planted aquariums. I've been using it for around 10 years without any problems, I started off slow with 1 capsule every 12 inches apart, but now I use it every 6 inches of tank space.

Just remember to bury them deep in the substrate because the Osmocote pellets float if they get out of the substrate... I always try to push them to the very bottom of the substrate using 12" planting tweezers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store