Do bubble checkers work as a check valve?

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
I have currently purchased a regulator and solenoid as picture below. Do I need a check valve to accompany this? and if so are the ones pictured which are for air pumps ok or should I get something better?
TIA

Wyin regulator.JPG

10122 Aqua One Airline Check Valves (2pk) 1-600x800.jpg

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Yes check valves are needed. You don't want to regret it. You can use the ones you have pictures for now... It's better than nothing. I would definitely upgrade to a good check valve.

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
What check valve would you say are the best? Would a brewing one like this be better? That's the best I could get locally and wont be doing an order online for a little while.

4789-check-valve-with-push-in-brass-fittings.jpg

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I would much rather use that one than those cheapy malfunctioning check valves. That's if the barb fits?

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
I have ordered some of those stainless ones off ebay but wont be here for a month or so I am guessing. So in the meantime I have one of the keg king ones as pictured above. The only concern I have is that it takes alot of pressure to open the valve and cant do so by blowing in it. Is this normal and do the aquarium ones have so much resistance? or will this create too much pressure in the system and cause problems?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
A check valve is a vital component for any co2 system, or air pump... Because they're designed to allow air to flow one way, and protect against water back flow. Say you're using an air pump and the power goes out, if there's no check valve then the water is able to start back flowing through the air line tubing, thus ruining your air pump and will actually start to drain your tank, and flood your home.

Check valves protect against this by blocking back flow in the air line tubing by protecting against any sort of reverse flow that can damage aquarium equipment, and most important your house!!! If say the power goes out, and water tries to back flow into the air line the check valve blocks any reverse flow...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store