Do I need to level my tank?

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
I just set up my new 180 gallon acrylic in my laundry room and filled it up. The water level on the right side is a whole inch lower than the left side. Should I be worried? If so, how can I level it without putting stress on the stand? The stand is a standard 2x4 DIY stand. A whole inch seems to be a lot from what I've been reading...

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
You didn't put a level on it before filling? Front to back and side to side? Drain it go to the hardware store buy a level and a package of wood shims

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
I knew the floor wasn't level but I didn't know it was that bad. I had a 150 5x2x2 on it for a couple of years with no problems. But the extra foot of length seems to make a big difference. Wouldnt putting shims under one side like that cause stress on the joints of the base of the stand? I don't want the stand to break or come apart at the joint down there

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I agree shim it up. how good is this stand you built only question I have, is it going to tweek twist or bow?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I agree with the other replies, level the stand and tank as much as possible. I consider out of level side to side or front to back to not be good, but out corner to corner is worse.
Without some more specific information about the stand it is ,to me at least, difficult to comment on how shims might affect the stand. keep in mind the uneven floor is putting uneven stress on the stand as it sits.

A basic assumption on stands is that they should be pretty close to square when built.

Get a level and check the floor in the area where the tank will sit. you had a 150 in that spot for two years. That can anywhere from 1500 to 1800 pounds static load. The floor may have been affected and the extra weight of the larger tank may have made it show up that much more.

good luck

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
Thanks for the advice. I didn't build the stand but I reinforced it with some extra screws here and there and it seems to be well supported. I have never used shims so I don't even know where to begin, but I am draining the tank now and I will pick some up tomorrow and give it a go. I think the stand will be OK if I put a shim in each corner on the left side and 2 under the horizontal piece of the base.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; may I suggest that you use solid shims other than wood. I use metal. Some have mentioned a type of composit (sp) shim now available.
good luck

Reactions: celebrist

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Type this into google. "how to shim aquarium stand" Plenty of info on how to do this. It's no big deal, but you need to do it.

samreu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2015
I agree to use metal - I use metal braces they use for making trusses or outdoor decks - like a plate with lots of screw holes - come in different sizes. I have also used tin from the hardware store use for furnace ducting when I need to get fine tuning, just cut it up into small pieces as needed and costs very little.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store