Do pacus tear/eat plants?

Kutty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Somewhere in S'pore
I'm thinking of getting a shoal of 2'' pacus for my planted South American tank, but I worried the plants will become food for them... What do you think?

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
The plants will become food but the easiest way, if you have space is to cheat and grow your plants in pots. Have 2 or 3 your show tank and grow on 6 or 8 in your plant tank so that you can rotate them. If you have a deep tank, switch the plants when you do a water change, otherwise you will need a snorkel to reach the bottom! also check that you are giving them enough of the right foods. If their dentition changes, so does there diet; mature fish will eat such things as unsalted almonds!

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
Yeah they will be eaten by the pacus.

robby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2005
Manor, Tx
The problem is that getting rid of a 10" fish isn't as easy as you would think. If that's your goal, go with a silver dollar. Too many pacus end up sitting at the LFS waiting to die or for a saint with a pond to come by, or dumped in a river which I'm not even going to begin to get into because I could rant all night.

Pacus don't make good pets unless yr ready to house them for their entire lives.

robby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2005
Manor, Tx
Yeah, but in SA their diet has a lot of fruit in it. I'm sure they taste great. Hopefully I'll do some grad work down there in a coupla years and find out...

aztecfred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Its like giving a kid Peanut butter Captain Crunch!

And they like fruit also.

So,I would pass on the planted tank, or perhaps chose another species with which to stock the tank with.

Sincerely,

Aztec Fred

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store