Do you consider goldfish coldwater only fish?

Goldfish temperature?

• Below 20C/68F

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Below 25C/77F

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Below 30C/86F

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
I've kept comets in a 75g with an Oscar and they did fine. Water temps were at 80 degrees and the fish adapted and looked fine for months. Happy, swimming, eating, growing. On the flip side 90% of the goldfish I've kept (Comets and shubunkins and some koi) have been in in aquariums and/or outdoor ponds with the water below 70 I'm assuming. Again, they put on great size, are very active, and seem extremely happy and non stressed. I can feed them from a foot away and I'm working on them eating out of my hand. So really what's the definition of thriving? Not sure about that article

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
There's a huge difference between thriving and barely surviving... But goldfish do not discriminate any water temperatures. That's why they are highly adaptable creatures and they're also one of the invasive species. Goldfish are thriving in cold trout lakes to the hot & polluted ponds in metro areas. Not just survive, but thriving....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting read. Just as Dr. Johnson, aka koivet, says there is no agreement, not in this thread either :) Simpler goldfish spp appear to indeed thrive in almost any condition and temp if by "thrive" we mean be apparently stress-free, healthy, grow, spawn, and repeat. As for the longevity, that's where there is a cork. Indeed we lack data. IDK if proper, healthy, happy longevity is a factor in the "thriviness". We'll probably never know anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store