Do you think poly have a bad eye sight?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I had my polys for six months now, and i bought alot of species through does six months. I just noticed that most of my polys are aware when im near thae tank. Some polys when the know that im close to the tank they come forward and looks like they begging for food while some are in the front then they go to the back.

When i feed my polys i always turn the lights off, lights in the garage and in the tank is off, but for some reason when i get close to the tank the move back in the back of the tank and stop eating, they wait for me to moved back away from the tank before they start eating again.

I brought this up to Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 and had a discussion about it, we noticed that when a poly is trying to jump out it scans the top of the tank, so if they have poor eye sight how do they know or see that there is a gap in that part of the tank?
I have noticed that with my congi who have tried several times on jumping out. I have a egg crate cover that has a glass cover in top of it that is about 13lbs. But i have a space about 2"-3" on the side where i let the air come out, and the congi alway try to jump out of there even it has crate on top.

I read that poly are almost blind, so how can they sence our presents? especially when the lights are off.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lol

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
- See a small open hole. Time to jump....!
- Walk quietly with pillow feet up to the tank. Some of those bastards jet to the back and hide!
- Sharpshooters on biting pectoral and tail fins!

Need to see to do all the above

eye chart.gif

Reactions: Polyaddict86

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Just my own observations but they seem to have a near field vision that is pretty good. Ive seen a piece of tilapia go unnoticed and then a current will wiggle it a little and the poly sees it and goes after it. But at the same token, Ive seen them swim over food too. lol

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Just my own observations but they seem to have a near field vision that is pretty good. Ive seen a piece of tilapia go unnoticed and then a current will wiggle it a little and the poly sees it and goes after it. But at the same token, Ive seen them swim over food too. lol
when i feed my polys, some will swim over the food but i think they know its there they just dont want it, they try look look or smell the best part of the tilapia, its like a person going after the chicken wing first cause its more tasty, before the breast, lolz

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
My polys do not react too much to movement since the tank is in the living room which tends to be a high traffic area that we pass through a lot. Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 , your tank is in the garage and maybe they just do not see as much movement so they react more...

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
My polys do not react too much to movement since the tank is in the living room which tends to be a high traffic area that we pass through a lot. Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 , your tank is in the garage and maybe they just do not see as much movement so they react more...
Maybe, so you think they can see well, if they see alot of movement. Just like what happens to J jaws7777 how his congi found the hole in his tank.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I had a delhezi jump once. I came into the office and turned the light on and freaked it out. The tank was acrylic but had a large filter slot in the back that it managed to find... I quickly got it off the carpet and plunked it back in the tank. I put a sheet of glass over that opening and never had issues again. Dont know what it is but they must sense something about the open areas.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Could of lost this poly easily months back. There was a 2"x2.5" hole I forgot to block off. Saw her in an almost vertical position towards the opening for about 5 plus minutes. Just looking at that area. Thought it was unusual. Wondering what the heck she was doing, but i just disregarded it. As I was about to get my coffee to leave the house. Then i hear a loud smack! There she goes sliding forward leaping 67" down to my floor. My tank is on a high stand. Here's a survivor to poor eyesight, cough, cough.

20160906_125608.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store